Menu

Freezer failure

hsingscrapper

What would you do if your freezer died with about 40 lbs of meat in it and you didn't have a way to refill it?

We get our stamps on the 9th. I get a ride from a friend as we don't have a vehicle so I do all of our meat and frozen veggie shopping on that trip.

I don't have any stamps left to refill it and am scrambling.

Please help me, hive!!

Did all the meat spoil?

I would also call churches and food pantries in my area. That's why they were created. Can your friend give you some rides if you line up places to pick up food?

If you can, I'd be investing in cheap ground turkey for spaghetti, tacos, chili, shepherds pie(less than $2 a lb at Aldi in our area) Chicken legs and thighs (soup and casseroles) and lots of beans.

My deep freezer just went out also. Sorry. I feel your pain.

Did it all go bad? If it just started to thaw, and is still cold, it can likely be salvaged. Some might be able to go in your freezer compartment on your fridge if it is still partially frozen. Thawed but still cold meat can be cooked up and stored in fridge and you can eat it over the next few days.

I agree with calling local.food banks and charitable organizations. Perhaps your friend can help you go pick some things up. To me, that is what friends do.

Now for future food storage, you may need to plan for more canned meats and proteins as well as canned veggies until you can replace the freezer.

I am sure others will have good ideas.