Menu

Calling Hive Tech Support! UPDATED: fixed! :)

Ginevra

My office monitor will not display. It has power, and the CPU has power, but it appears to be unable to get the computer signal. I bought new VGA cable yesterday, but my problem is not solved. What does this mean? Might it be that the picture card is bad? Is the monitor bad? I don't know what to do next and I m the closest thing to techy here, which is NOT saying much.

The computer is an HP Pavilion Elite. HP "Support" is an oxymoron.

It could be the video card. :( I'm guessing you tried unplugging the monitor and restarting everything? From googling, there are actually a few different things that could be causing the problem, and a lot of the fixes are fairly techy.  Is the computer new enough that it would be worth taking to a computer repair shop?

It could be the video card. :( I'm guessing you tried unplugging the monitor and restarting everything? From googling, there are actually a few different things that could be causing the problem, and a lot of the fixes are fairly techy. Is the computer new enough that it would be worth taking to a computer repair shop?

Yeah, I pulled all the plugs multiple times and bought new VGA cables, but that doesn't fix it. The computer is 2010 so...kinda old in Tech Years. I called Fast Tech, but i don't know if that will end up worthwhile or not. I can't really wait here all day, so that a problem.

Bah. I hate computer probs!

Yeah, I pulled all the plugs multiple times and bought new VGA cables, but that doesn't fix it. The computer is 2010 so...kinda old in Tech Years. I called Fast Tech, but i don't know if that will end up worthwhile or not. I can't really wait here all day, so that a problem.

Bah. I hate computer probs!

If you're feeling ambitious, several websites recommended opening the tower and making sure nothing (video card, RAM, all that fun stuff) has come loose, and if that's all good, very gently taking out the RAM and cleaning the connections.  

If you're feeling ambitious, several websites recommended opening the tower and making sure nothing (video card, RAM, all that fun stuff) has come loose, and if that's all good, very gently taking out the RAM and cleaning the connections.

I am actually considering this. I can't do diddly for work, so it is worth a try.

Do you cables that are compatible with plugging the monitor into a laptop, and do you have a laptop to test with? If the laptop can display to the monitor, you'll know that it isn't the monitor itself, but your desktop.

No, there is no compatibility (as far as I can tell) between them. My laptop is MAC but this desktop is HP.

I did open the case and try some things, which made me feel briefly techy, but they didn't solve the problem.

UPDATE: I fixed it! I did take it to Best Buy where the Geek Squad ran a diagnostic on it. He told me that he believed on of my RAM sticks was faulty. Well, thanks to my earlier You Tube work I had done, I actually knew how to pull them. So, with the computer back home, and having spent $0 for repair, i opened the case and tried the first RAM stick. With that out, it started right up! yay!

The tech guy did warn me that this would not be a permanent solution and it would be best to assume the computer will not last much longer.