Menu

Is anyone watching the news in OK about AP classes?

Apparently Rep. Fisher is going to go back and reword that highly misinterpreted bill.

Maybe I'm preaching to the choir here, but it bugs me that this article defines AP as a method to get college credit for work done in High School.  I look at AP as a tool (one of many) mainly for admissions purposes, but assuming that the primary value of AP is as a way to finish college earlier and cheaper, is a mistake.  If you can finish earlier and cheaper because of AP, good on you, but banking on that, may lead to surprises.

Ok, I am a little foggy on the details....but is this about changing thenOK curriculum because some feel it is too anti American?

I know I should read all the links and what not but I am tired. I listened to NPR today and that is my limited understanding of it.

I will say that Ds's 9th grade OK history was mind numbing. Ds hated it......it was basically one broken treaty after another.

Ok, I am a little foggy on the details....but is this about changing thenOK curriculum because some feel it is too anti American?

I know I should read all the links and what not but I am tired. I listened to NPR today and that is my limited understanding of it.

I will say that Ds's 9th grade OK history was mind numbing. Ds hated it......it was basically one broken treaty after another.

It's about not funding any AP US History classes and wouldn't have anything to with 9th grade history. I am not sure if their proposed curriculum would be only to replace the AP classes or if it would affect all of high school.

Maybe I'm preaching to the choir here, but it bugs me that this article defines AP as a method to get college credit for work done in High School.  I look at AP as a tool (one of many) mainly for admissions purposes, but assuming that the primary value of AP is as a way to finish college earlier and cheaper, is a mistake.  If you can finish earlier and cheaper because of AP, good on you, but banking on that, may lead to surprises.

We see AP primarily as a means to stretch academically with some proof to admissions that we did so. I can no longer customize every one of ds's classes for stretch and keep my sanity or our relationship.

I am not sure Oklahoma cares and that is reflected in the fact they are ranked 48th in the nation for education. I read one young man's comments on wondering why this was a priority when there wasn't enough paper for tests, enough desks for students, or money for textbooks.

Says the woman whose state has something like a 60% high school graduation rate.

I do want to clarify about OK's education ranking. They have strong standards, but abysmal funding. I would think that in that case, shelling out $4 million for a new high school US History program would be problematic.

State Department of Education personnel provide that the estimated cost of the measure is $3,851,500 which includes:

Framework Development – $25,000

Test Development - $2,600,000 (multiple choice-$600,000, Writing-$2,000,000)

Additional Dev. Costs - $1,266,500 (writing cmtes.,test admin.,aligning scores/rubrics, reimb.)

The only possible way it could cost that much to develop a test is if they outsourced it - really, $2,000,000 to write essay questions for a test ?(note that scoring and rubrics is under Additional Dev Costs)

We should apply.