Menu

The Rainbow - reviews?

EmilyGF

There have been a plethora of threads on the boards about Rainbow Science. Here are several:

Does anyone use Rainbow Science?

Did Rainbow Science prepare your student?

What does the HIVE think about The Rainbow science curriculum?

Rainbow Science Reviews?

The Rainbow Science Curriculum

Noeo Science vs. Rainbow Science for 7th/8th grade - anyone compared them?

Rainbow Science in 8th & 9th?

My oldest is doing Rainbow Year 1 this year. I wanted to combine dd#1 & dd#2, but it ended up being "too much" for dd#2 to follow, so I had to drop her out. It doesn't take very long to do each week, but I AM involved (usually lecturing from the text & helping dd#1 take notes as well as helping her with the vocab definitions) and dh does the labs with her. DD#1 is not a sciency person at all, so she has struggled some. If your kid has lots of science, this will likely be too light for them. Science is one of her most despised subjects and she waits until last to do it. Rainbow has not changed her mind on that in the slightest. 

On the other hand, ds#1 LOVES the labs and frequently hangs around during them, often answering the questions dh asks before dd#1 can. He grasps much of the actual science just as well as dd#1 (or better). (You can look at my sig to see their ages as their years of birth are listed.) So, your mileage may vary.

Now that I think about it.... I had him write out all vocab words.  Read from extra topics.  And I sat during all experiments.  I tried not to help, just be available.  I agree, it felt light compared to other years. But for that kid, it was a perfect, on my own curriculum.  He learned a lot and remembered it.