Menu

Question about CAP's W&R

Hakg

We are currently using IEW and DS10 really dislikes it, I don't care much for it either and we are looking to change programs.  We were considering Write On but I don't think that is going to work for us.  Today I have been looking at samples from W&R and it looks like a lot of creative writing only?  Does it cover any expository/persuasive writing in the first 2 books?

I have read through other threads and I am seeing these books being described as creative writing?  Do I have that right?  My DS likes creative writing, but I don't think he will want to do only creative writing. 

Thanks - any light shed would be appreciated.

They are not really creative writing as more of a creative spin on expository writing. The idea behind classical writing is that the student works with a model piece, expands it, summarizes it and changes specific aspects of it as a way to learn how to write. It's pretty effective for reluctant writers to get going.

Agreeing, it's not creative writing, although you do end the Fable book by "creating" your own Fable.  You summarize, amplify, and alter given pieces of writing, or you create short pieces within specific parameters. It's not learning how to write stories or anything.  It's learning the structure of first, narrative style writing. Eventually it expands into different kinds of expository and persuasive writing.