Menu

has anyone read The Saxon Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell?

Cornwell wrote the Richard Sharpe series.

We've exhausted all the Rosemary Sutcliff novels, and have the Brother Cadfeal mysteries on deck, and I'm looking for more historical fiction set in the middle ages. I did see the list here a few weeks ago, and, again, we have most of those or have already read them. I'm curious about this Saxon series and would love input.

Here's a link to the first:

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Kingdom-Saxon-Chronicles/dp/0060887184/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220277235&sr=1-1

Nicole

I have mixed feelings about Bernard Cornwell's books. The original Sharpe series (Napoleonic Wars) was, in my mind, quite good. The Saxon novels, like the later Sharpes (published after Waterloo), are a bit too melodramatic for me. Some of the books also have their raunchy moments which may play into your decision making.

As I write this, I wonder if the books took a turn or if I was simply no longer deriving satisfaction from them. It would be interesting to hear from others to see if they share similar perceptions.

Jane

Have you read any Henty novels set in this time period?

You know, I'm rather a Henty hater. I'm sorry. Can I still hang out on this board?

But no, I've only tried other Hentys. Is there one in particular that you like and might recommend? I'm willing to try again.

On the other hand, I mentioned to my son what y'all said here about the later books in the series getting bloody, and he said, "Oh, then I'd probably like them." And that was what I was thinking, too. Amazing how the most mild mannered, gentle kid can be totally nonplussed by gore and violence.