Menu

Yoo-hoo, Elizabeth B....a question about my "guesser"

rachelpants

I'm taking your advice from old threads and pulling my 8 year old DS off books and sentences for a bit in an attempt to kick his guessing habit. He also struggles with b/d reversals so I printed the uppercase Blend Phonics reader for him to work through. However, he usually only struggles with the reversals when reading. He can go through a stack of b and d flashcards and get them all correct. Similarly, I've had him work through some of those "circle all the b's or d's in this worksheet" type thing and he does just fine.

I've asked him to try and read through word lists (simple cvc words) without any errors and now he is not blending anymore? So for the word "cat" he will "read" /c/ /a/ /t/ ....he says the sounds really fast together but they are distinct sounds and not blended together. Should I just be glad that he isn't saying "cut" or "cats" anymore and not worry about it?

How long would you recommend working with uppercase? Should we be doing some of both upper and lower?

Here is what our lessons look like:

1. Phonogram review (oral, from Spalding) flashcards.

2. Phonogram review (from dictation).

3. Build words with AAR phonogram tiles and talk about sounds, syllable types,etc.

4. Read through word lists.

5. Your Phonics concentration game.

......anything else I should be doing?

Thanks so much!!!

Rachel

Not Elizabeth B, but I think you're on the right track and would let him continue with his "fast segmenting" for awhile--I bet it will eventually translate to reading without doing that. Since your goal is to get him over the "guessing" part, I don't think I'd push him to just say the word--see if it works out in time.

Here's an article on Word-Guessing and also on reversals; these might help as well. 

Merry,

Thanks for your advice and encouragement. :)

DS actually started blending again towards the middle of our lesson today. I think it has taken him a bit to get accustomed to the uppercase font. I can tell that he is reading through every word though because he often sounds choppy....which is fine with me as long as he is not guessing. ;)

Thanks again for the help and links! I'll check them out. :)

Friendly bump :).....

With another question. :)

I saw this about B and D confusion on The Phonics Page...http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/dbdb.html

I'm wondering if I could try it and sub out words that DS wouldn't be able to read yet? Also, is it okay to be reading other word lists that would have Bs and Ds in them while going through these exercises? Or would it be better to just work on this alone?

Sometimes DS says the wrong sound for capital B and/or D.....sigh.

• 3 weeks later...

Friendly bump :).....

With another question. :)

I saw this about B and D confusion on The Phonics Page...http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/dbdb.html

I'm wondering if I could try it and sub out words that DS wouldn't be able to read yet? Also, is it okay to be reading other word lists that would have Bs and Ds in them while going through these exercises? Or would it be better to just work on this alone?

Sometimes DS says the wrong sound for capital B and/or D.....sigh.

Yes, you can sub out words he hasn't learned all the phonograms for.

Also, you might want to try the dyslexie font and see if that helps...and if it does, or even if not, vision therapy screening may be something to consider.

A student of mine who is going to need vision therapy does better with uppercase or with the dyslexie font.  Also, I had her first highlight the b's in blue and then the d's in another color in a passage before reading.  She could correctly ID 100% of the time but got them wrong when both reading and IDing b/d at the same time.  After a few sessions working with B/B and D/d and then highlighting the letters, she went from 90% incorrect to 90% correct in normal text, and could do 100% when she highlighted first.

You could also try some syllables and Webster's Speller and my syllable division exercises.

http://thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/WellTaughtPhonicsStudent.html

Guessing comes from several underlying problems but the commonality is that guessing is less work and/or more of a habit than sounding out the word.

Usually from school teaching, a habit and easier because they haven't been taught all the phonics needed, also they are trained to guess from a variety of whole language practices.

Many students, especially boys but some girls too (including my son until a year or so ago) guess until they've gotten in 1 billion or so repetitions of the sounds and blending out words and spelling words because they have not yet automated the phonics enough for it to be easy.  (OK, not quite a billion but sometimes it feels like it...)  I gave you the link to the well taught student page and not the remedial how to tutor page because that should be enough with the other resources you have and not coming from a whole language school environment even with the guessing.

Some students have an underlying vision or speech/hearing/language processing problem that makes seeing or sounding out the letters difficult so guessing is easier than sounding out the word.

Many students, especially boys but some girls too (including my son until a year or so ago) guess until they've gotten in 1 billion or so repetitions of the sounds and blending out words and spelling words because they have not yet automated the phonics enough for it to be easy. 

LOL! I'm pretty sure a billion is close...

Yes, you can sub out words he hasn't learned all the phonograms for.

Also, you might want to try the dyslexie font and see if that helps...and if it does, or even if not, vision therapy screening may be something to consider.

A student of mine who is going to need vision therapy does better with uppercase or with the dyslexie font.  Also, I had her first highlight the b's in blue and then the d's in another color in a passage before reading.  She could correctly ID 100% of the time but got them wrong when both reading and IDing b/d at the same time.  After a few sessions working with B/B and D/d and then highlighting the letters, she went from 90% incorrect to 90% correct in normal text, and could do 100% when she highlighted first.

You could also try some syllables and Webster's Speller and my syllable division exercises.

http://thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/WellTaughtPhonicsStudent.html

Guessing comes from several underlying problems but the commonality is that guessing is less work and/or more of a habit than sounding out the word.

Usually from school teaching, a habit and easier because they haven't been taught all the phonics needed, also they are trained to guess from a variety of whole language practices.

Many students, especially boys but some girls too (including my son until a year or so ago) guess until they've gotten in 1 billion or so repetitions of the sounds and blending out words and spelling words because they have not yet automated the phonics enough for it to be easy.  (OK, not quite a billion but sometimes it feels like it...)  I gave you the link to the well taught student page and not the remedial how to tutor page because that should be enough with the other resources you have and not coming from a whole language school environment even with the guessing.

Some students have an underlying vision or speech/hearing/language processing problem that makes seeing or sounding out the letters difficult so guessing is easier than sounding out the word.

Thank you so much for your time and advice. This is so helpful. Can you tell me if the "Lessons for the Well Taught Phonics Student" line up with your Online Phonics Lessons? I was planning on having him go through the videos once he has completed Blend Phonics.

I also wanted to let you know that I scoured you old posts and have gleaned so much information from them.  My son is almost half way through Blend Phonics and is doing amazingly well.  Pulling him off sentences and working with nonsense words have made a marked difference.  Your advice on "over-learning" has really hit home with me as well.  I can see such a difference in his reading since I have changed my approach to teaching.  I am so thankful for the advice and wisdom that you have shared in your posts. Did I say "thank you"....because I *really* mean it, LOL.