Menu

Please tell me about All About Spelling

MommyX8

There are a lot of us on this board who use this program and love it! We started using it in June, I think. I needed some remedial spelling work for my oldest. She really needed to learn the rules like this program teaches and needs the built in review. She also enjoys the program since we do different things each day, not just filling out pages in a workbook (which just wasn't sticking for her).

If you have a program that's working well for you, I don't see any reason to change. But, if you think you need something else, I would definitely look into this program!

Google it to find the website and learn more. You can also search this board to look for lots of great reviews!

I hope this helps some!

AAS is an Orton-Gillingham approach to spelling. It teaches the phonics rules in a multi-sensory approach via flash cards, letter tiles, and dictation.

My personal opinion of AAS is that it has some bonuses and some drawbacks. The letter tiles are great for kids that need more help with visually imprinting. I think a drawback is the pace and the slow introduction of all the phonograms/rules. I own the first 2 levels and even at the end of level 2 they have only been introduced to the first 43 of 72 basic phonogram sounds.

Don't let other people's hype cause you to 2nd guess curricula that works for you. If PZ is working, there is no need to change.

Hmm. Still stumped.

My oldest son is in 7th grade. He seems to be doing fine at PZ, but has no clue how to figure out how to spell something, he just determines if it looks correct. :confused:

He has potential to be a TERRIBLE speller, just like Dad and Grandpa.

I also have a 1st grader learning to read and a 3 grader. So I was thinking about ordering Level 1 to start fresh with my younger ones. They wouldn't be on the same pace, though.

Do I still need additional student kits for each? Are these consumable or no? I am thinking that maybe my older son could finish before the 1st grader was solid enough in reading to start.

We don't use SWR if it makes a difference.

I'm using this with both my DS11 and DD8. They are pretty much at the same level. My son is a terrible speller and my daughter is a natural. She's bored with it but I see her use the rules when she's spelling. My son still struggles but its helped him alot and its also helped his reading tremendously which is a great bonus for me.

I bought two student kits for Level 1 and quickly found out I didn't really need it. So for the rest I just bought 1 kit. If you do more than one child at the same time, you'd need two sets of tiles but I don't think you need a whole other set of cards, imo.

HTH,

Do I still need additional student kits for each? Are these consumable or no? I am thinking that maybe my older son could finish before the 1st grader was solid enough in reading to start.

If you are not using the same book/kit with them at the same time, I think you're fine with one kit. I actually am using one kit with 2 kids who are only about 1.5 lessons apart, but I organized my cards differently than what the book recommends. (I have them divided into review for one, the other, or both, plus some cards that one is reviewing that the other hasn't gotten to yet. If it sounds confusing, well, it took me a few weeks to come up with this system for us, LOL!).

I wrote about AAS on my blog yesterday.

Hope you find what works for your kids, I wish I'd found it when my kids were younger! Merry :-)