Menu

Foerster Algebra Users

For those of you who do Foersters Algebra, how long did it take you to get through 10-8, the lesson with 78 word problems? We've been working on it for over a week and we're not through yet. They're good problems and my daughter is challenged by them. But we're feeling overwhelmed by the number. She typically can complete about 5 or 6 per hour, working for 1-2 hours, often making an error somewhere and realizing it and then spending more time going back to fix it. I'm considering taking a break and moving on and coming back later... Or maybe I should plow on? What do you think?

I won't be any help.  We are in 10-7.  It would take my child weeks to do those in 10-8.  You could move on and assign just one every day or two, but you don't need to do them all.  The assignments in the teacher's edition often has a few problems from previous sections especially when those sections are word problems.  Or you could just figure out how many days you could spend on it(and still finish the book when you want to) and then move on when time is up.  

If you want to move on (oldest DD wanted to when the sections got dense with word problems), you could just incorporate one or two each day for a couple of weeks.  If I recall correctly, Foerster also suggested it was perfectly fine to choose some randomly and save others for tests or cumulative assessment.  They are great problems to work through, however you do it.