Menu

Teaching dyslexics as they get older

I have three kids that are dyslexic - one high school, one middle school, and one in elementary. I have found a path that works well with my oldest. My question is about my dd, 11 yo, 6th grader. She's a very bright child that is held back a lot by her reading disability.

I tend to break her learning into a few big areas:

1) reading - she's made huge strides in the past year, but she still needs explicit reading instruction ( Barton) and lots of basic practice. We are on a good path here.

2) writing - mechanics and content. I probably need to do more here, but that's not my question.

3) math - very skilled with the logic of math, struggles with some of the arithmetic. I can teach her math well.

4) knowledge acquisition - I lump history, science, geography, general knowledge, etc here.

My question is how to provide means for her to better gain knowledge that are not very mom intensive. She listens to tons of literature and is in a lit discussion class. She has started listening to Mystery of History audio CDs and is enjoying this. In the past she has listened to science texts on Learning Ally, but is not currently doing this.

Do you have suggestions for now or as she enters high school for more learning that is video or audio based?

Edited to add: I am especially interested in how to teach her science in a non-textbooky kind of way. I don't think she needs to sit and listen to a science textbook or science lecture, but she needs to learn science in a less traditional way.

You could look at Supercharged Science. I tried it when I was first homeschooling (when I believed that an 8 year old could do experiments independently....oh my :-}) Not a good choice for us at the time, but it may be good for you. I'm considering looking at it again in a year or two. The program is set up so the kid does an experiment based on a video demonstration, thinks/takes notes, or writes about it, and then does some readings from the program itself (if they feel so inclined). Much of the teaching is in the videos. It could definitely be pretty independent for a middle schooler. It's not a cheap program, but you can do it monthly, and stop if the program is not working. Or there are lots of options for buying whole kits, etc. 

Supercharged Science might work.  I agree with KSinNS.  

You might also look at an on-line course, something that she can do at home with your help but instruction is from an on-line teacher.  Some kids do well with that.  My DS, for instance.  Some don't.  My DD for instance.  :)

Maybe get a textbook that also has support DVDs?  Read the spine with her, do the experiments with her, and watch the DVDs for additional instruction?

Have you looked at the resources from Homeschool Buyer's Co-op?

Do you have suggestions for now or as she enters high school for more learning that is video or audio based?

Here's one suggestion: if you have Netflix or Amazon Prime or even just the internet or a library card, you can access some great documentaries and a variety educational shows. There are some really fantastic programs that can be used to supplement your other educational materials. Nova helps to better illustrate many of the science principles covered in our textbooks.  Next week, my high school sophomore's Shakespeare studies will include an old movie version of a Shakespeare play. Some of the best teachers I remember included appropriate movies as part of our classroom lessons. It takes a little planning to find the right shows, but that's not nearly as teacher-intense as many of the other methods appropriate for dyslexic students, and it's easier now than it has ever been to find quality audio-visual teaching aids.

DS likes Derek Owens and The Great Courses videos.  I am looking at combining the Earth Science text by Tarbuck with The World's Greatest Geological Wonders: 36 Spectacular Sites.

Last year during literature, we watched two versions of Hamlet and listened to 4-5 Great Course lectures about the play.  We also watched a British show about 7 or so plays by Shakespeare.