Menu

Question for those using newer Dolciani texts...

If you are using the newer Dolciani texts, do you have your child do all of the math problems? So far, I have only glanced through the texts, but to me it looks like a very large number of problems.

Does your child do all of the:

Oral problems

Written problems set A, B and C

Mixed Review

Calculator problems

Computer problems

Self tests

Chapter Reviews

Chapter tests

Misc. Applications

and anything else I might be leaving out?

I plan to work through part of the Algebra I book in the next couple of months, but would like to hear the experiences of those who have used the texts. If you don't do them all, which sections have you found to be optional?

Thanks!

This is what we did for Algebra 1 (we are essentially doing the same thing for geometry now, just haven't finished it yet!).

* Oral exercises together when necessary to introduce topic

*Written exercises - typically only B & C sections unless I feel she needs practice with the basic concept, then we add some A problems in.

* Problems - there are sections that have written exercises and problems that are word problems. She does ALL of these, A, B and C. Usually not on the same day as the written exs, but sometimes depending on how quickly she moved through the written problems. I like her to do them on the next day to see if she can remember the concepts and apply them.

* Mixed review and self-tests are always tacked on at the end of the lesson in which they appear. They are usually very short.

*Chapter reviews and tests are always included. I schedule the Chapter review with the Preparing for College Entrance Exams or Mixed Problem solving sections because they are both short. I will sometimes add Maintaining skills section in all or part just depending on the skills included.

*Challenge sections are always included in the assignment in which they occur

*"Extra" and Application sections are scheduled because they are a great introduction to the next level.

* We never do Calculator or Computer sections because I feel no need to.

When I was using this book with a class of kids, I used to make them write me an essay on some of the people they bio occasionally. Some kids thought it was more fun than others, obviously, but I thought it was great to apply math to another discipline.

In the same situation, I hardly ever assigned the "C" section problems. We would sometimes do them in class, just to show how the math can be applied, but the frustration level was just too great for some of them, and they broke down. I saw that frustration with my own daughter sometimes, as well, but at least I was able to talk her through the problem as it was occurring. Plus, the parents hated (HATED) that I gave so much homework (I usually only gave odds):glare:

It took us a solid year to move through the entire book, and I covered every chapter. I still use the book some mornings for warm-up problems. It's so neat for dd to see that she can easily work a problem that she had so much trouble with when she was doing it the first time. I suppose I wont have to do that for much longer, as she will be starting the Algebra 2/Trig book awfully soon :willy_nilly: Where does time go???

Just FYI Nutshellmath.com has worked out odd problems. I have no idea how much it is, or if you need it, I only know it exists!

HTH and Have Fun!:thumbup:

Melissa,

My son is using a 1990 Algebra 1 book, and I'm using the lesson plans from the teacher's book as a guide. We generally do some of the oral problems together right after we go over the lesson. The lesson plans usually have him do the odd problems from the lesson (and maybe a few others). The mixed review & self tests are tacked on to the end of the lessons. I often let him do these on a white board and do not require him to write out all the steps like I make him do for the odd problems from the lesson.

we haven't done the calculator problems as written, but he has used a calculator a little bit to help with some of the lessons. He will do the review exercises and the chapter tests as well.

HTH,

Brenda

My ds is using the newest Algebra I book. He's doing Written Exercises A and B from what I can tell. Most of the time, I let him get away with just evens but sometimes the curriculum (k12) says to do all so I look and see if I think that is necessary before I say, "oh, just do the evens." The lesson assessment questions are always even problems.

Anyway, I'm not much help. K12 has their own materials to discuss a topic, their own lesson assessments, etc. So I don't have to decide what to do. After years of homeschooling traditionally, I'm enjoying the break and letting someone else dictate what he's doing.