Menu

Catholic Textbook Project Question

elah

I am currently using All Ye Lands for my 6th grader. It looks like Light to the Nations is the next one in the series, but when I looked at the table of content it appears to have a lot of overlap. If you have experience with both textbooks I would love to hear your thoughts. Would it be to much repeat? Which book do you think is a good fit to go next? Thanks!

I don't see how it would be too much repeat. I haven't used All Ye Lands, but that's a world geography program, and Sea to Shining Sea is an American history program. FWIW, Sea to Shining Sea is GREAT, and you can buy lesson plans for it from Catholic Heritage Curriculum's website.

I've only used Light to the Nations 1 & dd#1 is using LttN2 this year. It starts with a brief (1 ch) overview starting at the BC/AD changeover. It moves forward from there.

The reading level is fairly high, IMO. 

I think where Aimee is coming from is that CTP bills AYL as a "World Cultures and Geography" program:

Origins and stories of world peoples and cultures, European, African and Asian, with geography of the world, and lives of great men and women, from the dawn of civilization to today. Timelines, maps, charts, and illustrations give depth and context to the story. 

LttN is very much a history text.

I see. I have an older (maybe original) copy of All Ye Lands. It doesn't say "Geography" like the newest version does. I just read the description for the new version and our copy does not have the maps and map activities like the newer one. Nor the geography section at the beginning of each chapter. The older version that I have is all history. So I guess that it ones opinion on over lap might vary depending on which edition of AYL you have. I might just have to try to contact the publisher directly and ask if I can't locate a local copy to review. 

I did. I find it very useful. It has all the answers to the textbook chapter review question, sample test questions and answers, additional activities and a list of dates/ events to create a timeline (which are not included in the textbook). 

I didn't have the TM for LttN1, but I do have it for LttN2. If you want the test, essay, quiz questions and a (relatively short, IMO) list of music & other books you can add, it is helpful. If you don't plan on giving quizzes, tests, and already have a big list of extra reading/activities to add, it isn't worth the $$$. It just depends on what you want/need to add to the text.

FWIW, LttN1 & 2 regular text both have dates at the end of each chapter if you are going to have your child add to a timeline.