Menu

Curriculum for artistic, creative kid

Joyofsixreboot

Time to start thinking about next year and wading(slogging?) through the possibilities. My 11 yo dd is always the unhappy camper. She loves acting, music, sewing, designing, crafting, drawing, in short everything I dislike :unsure: She is not a fan of literature based stuff. She will do what I assign but enjoys none of it. Left to her own devices she would do the above activities and read only manga. Any thoughts on a curriculum that might catch her interests? I feel like next year is our last chance to really enjoy things before the rigors of Jr/Sr. High. Just hoping someone can throw out some ideas.

My 10-year-old DD has similar interests. She especially loves DIY videos from all the hip and cool woman vloggers on YouTube. So, I have tried to harness that.

She has really enjoyed Grammar Revolution and it has solidified her grammar like nothing else; she learned so much from her and is solid with diagramming. It's video-based instruction from a smart, cool woman.

Whenever I introduce a new topic in math, I use the Danica McKellar books. They make me cringe but she adores them and she learns from them. (We combine with other math curricula.

I've come to accept that if I give a writing assignment, it's very likely she will draw it before she writes it.

She has loved Ellen McHenry's curricula, especially Mapping the World by Art. We used the English and Brain ones too.

I work really hard to find creative projects for history that aren't cheesy. I found an Egyptian writing set with a reed stylus and papyrus for doing hieroglyphics. We get a new board game associated with the period of history.

We were making a scrapbook as our end of unit projects for history but that dwindled.

She loves "living" history, math, etc. So we use a lot of those types of resources. She loves narrative non-fiction especially.

• 1 month later...

I expect my artsy DD will adore Where the Brook and River Meet in a couple/few years. DD/9th used it for 7th. I wouldn't use it for anyone younger than that unless they're solid readers that can enjoy older poetry. (I think Cadron lists it as high school?) Anne spouts poetry, literature, Shakespeare, and such as she talks. When she's calling herself Cordelia you're reading King Lear. It's a delicious study, and includes handicrafts, cooking, and such.

• Like 1