Menu

Evan-Moor Daily 6-trait Writing reviews?

tld

I'm considering switching from WWE to Evan-Moor with my 2nd grade son.  Writing is just traumatic for him with WWE and I was paging through the Evan Moor book at a friends and thought he'd appreciate it much more.  Do you feel Evan-Moor is complete at this age?  And if so, how many grade levels does it remain a complete program?

We use EM 6 Trait Writing. Imo, it would be great for someone who finds writing a bit traumatic, because many of the exercises require short answers. Students work in a very structured manner and focus on one wring aspect at a time, like picking a main idea or writing from the point of view of one person in a story. The examples are clear and age appropriate. I find it interesting.

I have some of the 6 Trait writing books. I love the concept of being analytical about writing. But I would find the program hard to implement on my own. The EM books give some much needed structure. You probably want to make sure *you* like the 6 Trait concept before starting.

I think you could use it as a complete writing program at the 2nd grade level. If your ds is struggling I would not add another program, as EM will cover the basics. As your ds gets more at ease with writing, you could add additional short assignments over the curriculum. If you are looking at common core, you should be especially sure to include non-fiction as well as fiction. (EM has both.)

I can't answer your question about grade level.

Btw, some EM Daily books can be used without the teacher component. IMO, this is not one of them, lol.

We used it in first grade and I bought it for second (didn't use it, though). I actually went over the other way...to WWE. DD definitely enjoyed the 6-Trait product. More and more, I feel as though WWE emphasizes more useful skills. 6-Trait offers a lot of writing prompts and creative-writing opportunities. When I think about the types of things DD will need to write in the future, I feel that cultivating the ability to comprehend, summarize, etc. well is really where it's at. That's what we're working on with WWE2 right now.

I have wondered, though, whether anyone cuts back narration to once a week and adds in some creative writing components to break monotony.

I'm going to take a good look at CAP for next year (third grade) and decide between it and WWE. That's my thinking right now anyway.

Totally agree. This was the reason I used it with DD in first grade...it was fairly gentle. I didn't think DD was up for WWE at that point.

We use EM 6 Trait Writing. Imo, it would be great for someone who finds writing a bit traumatic, because many of the exercises require short answers. Students work in a very structured manner and focus on one wring aspect at a time, like picking a main idea or writing from the point of view of one person in a story. The examples are clear and age appropriate. I find it interesting.

I have some of the 6 Trait writing books. I love the concept of being analytical about writing. But I would find the program hard to implement on my own. The EM books give some much needed structure. You probably want to make sure *you* like the 6 Trait concept before starting.

I think you could use it as a complete writing program at the 2nd grade level. If your ds is struggling I would not add another program, as EM will cover the basics. As your ds gets more at ease with writing, you could add additional short assignments over the curriculum. If you are looking at common core, you should be especially sure to include non-fiction as well as fiction. (EM has both.)

I can't answer your question about grade level.

Btw, some EM Daily books can be used without the teacher component. IMO, this is not one of them, lol.

I don't mind them for younger workbook lovers. My first grader has done a couple units in the grade 2 book, but she still does daily copywork too. We have the edition with teacher notes and student pages in one volume, but I just teach on the fly if needed. It's a supplement for her; homemade copywork is her writing "program".

I used this with my daughter during second and third grades. It was easy to implement and felt productive for us.

We also used Evan-Moor's Daily Language Review.

She liked the workbook-type approach of both of these programs.

I always viewed this as a temporary measure -- something to do for language arts during that particular season of our homeschooling journey, rather than as a long-term strategy.