Menu

Does an online or computer based LA exist?

stacyh270

Hi, I'm researching options for my 5th grade son.  We currently do Classical Conversations Essentials so he is getting writing and some grammar.  

However, I am needing something that includes vocabulary, spelling, and more grammar.  With trying to homeschool 3 children, take care of a home, and help my husband run a business, I'm in desperate need of curriculum that is more student-directed at his age.  Ideally, I would like to find an online or computer-based LA program that covers all these topics that will NOT require a significant amount of time on my part.  Last year, we used Sequential Spelling and I am now realizing that he retained very little from it  :closedeyes:

If a good online/computer program is not available, would CLE or R&S be less teacher-intensive?

We tried SOS LA but DS ended up really struggling with it. They would do a quick lesson then take a quiz the next day expecting the subjects to be mastered. I ended up having to be with him to do his lessons and it took more time then just going through R&S for us. We do R&S mostly orally and it goes pretty quick and I think it explains stuff better too. I haven't used CLE for LA but it will cover everything and I believe it's more independent too. That being said SOS does work for some, but once you buy it you also can't resell it.

You could check out easy peasy too. It's free online and has all LA and depending on your child can be done independently. ACE should be able to be used independently (my high school used that and we did it independently)

We looked into SOS, but I had/have concerns about the grading algorithm. If you look around for reviews, if things aren't worded exactly right, or are misspelled, the software marks the answer as incorrect and you need to go manually check and correct the corrections, essentially. CLE is very independent, but do the free placement test first if you decide you'd like to go that route.

We looked into SOS, but I had/have concerns about the grading algorithm. If you look around for reviews, if things aren't worded exactly right, or are misspelled, the software marks the answer as incorrect and you need to go manually check and correct the corrections, essentially. CLE is very independent, but do the free placement test first if you decide you'd like to go that route.

This is true.  However, this is true for any computer based program for the most part that I have found.