Menu

Math curriculum suggestions

puddleduck

My Ds5 (almost 6) is using Saxon 2 (Yes we love math!), and is flying through it. He really likes it, but it isn't challenging at all. He's also using Miquon but will finish it sometime this year. I'm looking for where to go after he finished these both. I really don't want to continue with Saxon. I hated teaching it, and I actually quit using the Teacher's Guide all together. He doesn't like SM, it's not his way of thinking.I was looking at Horizons, but I'm not sure. We need something gentle, yet rigorous, with plenty practice.

Any suggestions?

Maybe Math in Focus?  You can usually buy the textbooks and a lot of the workbooks really cheaply used/like new on Amazon.  Excellent program, the pages are well laid out, the material is presented in a way that many kids click with, there is a lot of thinking math involved but it seems much easier to teach and learn from than Singapore, IMHO.  The TMs, even used, are costly, but can be a tremendous help in teaching.  I don't think you need one until closer to 3rd grade level math, though.

Or CLE math?  I think it starts with 1st grade.  The light units are written to the child so much less teacher intense than many math programs.  Lots of tight spiral review so it is easy to shorten lessons if your child has mastered certain areas and only needs periodic minor review to keep the skills fresh.  Just cut out a few problems from each review section.  

I don't know Horizons directly so can't speak to it.  Right Start math is very popular on these boards so you might look at that one.  It incorporates lots of games and manipulatives which some kids thrive with. 

Later on, definitely look at Beast Academy, at least as a supplement.  Excellent program.

I would get him LOF as a supplement and then perhaps use MEP. I used Horizons K with my DD at 4.5 and the speed was correct then, but once into Horizons 1 it became far to repetitive, so I would not advise it for children who are fast at Math or need less repetition than normal. My own DD is on SM - she doesn't find it thrilling, but using it as a routine she will put up with it as long as there are other supplements.

We've used Horizons from the beginning; we've never regretted it, and we've never had a problem. 

Having said that however, I'm thinking of changing over to a different math next year because DD will be starting Algebra and Horizons doesn't go beyond Algebra 1 at this point.  In addition, I don't want to teach Algebra the traditional way (Pre-Algebra, Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra II).  I found a program called Algebra, The Complete Course, that will teach all of Algebra over a course of 2-3 years, followed by all of Geometry, The Complete Course (including Trig & Calc) for another 2-3 years. 

My Ds5 (almost 6) is using Saxon 2 (Yes we love math!), and is flying through it. He really likes it, but it isn't challenging at all. He's also using Miquon but will finish it sometime this year. I'm looking for where to go after he finished these both. I really don't want to continue with Saxon. I hated teaching it, and I actually quit using the Teacher's Guide all together. He doesn't like SM, it's not his way of thinking.I was looking at Horizons, but I'm not sure. We need something gentle, yet rigorous, with plenty practice.

Any suggestions?

Since you said he needed something more challenging I was going to suggest Beast Academy...but I see you are already using that with The Professor.  Do you think The Artist would be ready for BA, or not?  Other than that I'm stumped on what could be challenging, rigorous, and gentle.  

lol, I was thinking the same. It needs to be rigorous...yet gentle...he's 5! Miquon is perfect.

I had another look at MEP and will give that a try for now. It's free, so why not. He's not ready yet for BA and I only started the Professor on it when he finished SM3a.