Menu

Moving Beyond the Page 4-5 for K? Thoughts?

littleWMN

Liked it? Loved it? Hated it?

My son will be 5 in March. I want to start on more "school" for him as he needs more stimulation. He's getting into trouble a lot. Bored I think. He's very bright, but very short attention span and very active. All boy. 😉 He loves to learn, but only if it's hands on and interesting to him.

He does know letter sounds. He wants to read but he thinks he should be able to just sit down and pick up reading instantly. He's a perfectionist that likes to do things "right." I'm also trying to decide if I want to do RS A with him. He's fairly mathy and I think he'd enjoy it. However, I know it takes up some time. I have Touch Math for another child (with special needs) and may just use that. Phonics is still up in the air too. I have many phonics resources so I may just throw together my own stuff with Phonics Pathways as my spine.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions on this particular level and curriculum. Pictures or links to blogs would be great. I've got three older kids that I also homeschool. While, I'm open to other curriculum, I've been around the block once or twice and am very familiar with most other options. 😉

I've been using it with my 5 yo. I can't say enough good things about it. We love it here. So much so...that I am in the process of writing my own similar curriculum for my DS to use for his K year ( we used 4-5 for PreK) becuase the 5-7 level is still too advanced for him.

I have two older kids and the program is very easy to fit in and around their schooling. It's workload is just right for wiggly, short attention span little boys...like my own boy.

I haven't posted pics to my blog...but I posted a few to MBTP FB page. There are quite a few people there using it and posting pics and seems like everyone loves it.

I used all sorts of other K programs when my older kids were little. I wish this had been around then...its the best I've come across for that age.

I guess you can tell it gets two thumbs up from me LOL

It includes math but if your child loves math or is advanced you might want to start a math program. I didn't use one...the math included was enough for my son.

It doesn't really teach letters beyond a couple of simple worksheets....so of you want a reading program you will have to add one of your own. I used Phonics Pathway with my son and Reading A-Z.com.

• 4 weeks later...

I really don;t know what I would be doing without Moving Beyond the Page this year. 

My son was diagnosed with autism but extremely high functioning and he is in K. We are using a Charter school.  

We love Moving Beyond the Page. It is the one way I can insure things get done around here and easy enough for my older kids to help implement. I wish there were boxes for us to check off when done. 

We use Foundations with my son and reading and spelling ---easy peasy. 

Math In Focus and Rightstart for math on top of Moving Beyond the Page. 

Gosh, I was just poring over the webpage this afternoon. I'm thinking of getting the online curriculum and materials kit for $125 and then trying the library for the books.  We already have some of them. It looks like it will be nice to have the links on the computer already.  Will I regret not getting the student activity book in hard copy?  Or is it fairly simple to print what you need? 

What about that ABeCedarian reading program they recommend?  Is it any good?  Looks a little... lacking color?

Another high-energy wiggly enthusiastic boy here :laugh:

We use the online version..the stuff you need to print is in a seperate section so you can print off the whole lot at once or print as you go with links included in the lesson. There isn't much you need to print for this level...usually between 2-8 pages per week.

I've never printed off the the whole lesson...just read it off the Ipad or laptop. It is very user friendly.

I also didn't buy the materials kit as we have more then enough of that stuff hanging round as it is. its super easy to make your own templates when you need too...I just find some online. Substitutions work just find and I find it really easy to substitute.

Of course..it is nice to have it all ready in the box to go...but I live in Australia and didnt even want to know what the shipping cost would be lol.

I can get all the books from our library system so all up the program cost me $50...just for the online lessons.

I never used their reading program...I just use my own.