Menu

French Credit for Fr. In Action and Rosetta St.

I bought French In Action Part 1. According to the preface: "French in Action is intended to provide the equivalent of two years of instruction (elementary and intermediate French) at the college and university level, whether the course is taught over 4 semesters or condensed into two intensive semesters."

I'm wondering if this will be too difficult for a 9th grade beginner since it is intended for college students?

As an alternative, would it be possible to use Rosetta Stone Levels 1 and 2 this year and award one credit? (From what I've read here, it sounds like Level 1 alone would not be worth one credit.) And then we could use French In Action Part 1 as a "French 2" course next year?

If you've got any suggestions/other ideas, please let me know! Thanks!

Hi Laurie,

It is my understanding that FIA is either two years of college French or four years of high school French. From examining syllabi on the Internet, it appears that roughly thirteen lessons translates to one year of a high school French class.

Katia recently reported that her daughter tested out of three semesters of college French. It would be nice to hear how far she progressed with the program.

Best,

Jane

It is my understanding that FIA is either two years of college French or four years of high school French. From examining syllabi on the Internet, it appears that roughly thirteen lessons translates to one year of a high school French class.

I'm very relieved to know that we can still use this course but move at a slower pace. I was feeling very intimidated with the thought of trying to cover so much ground with him in a year!

I hope to hear more about Katia's dd, too! My ds will either have to take some classes at the community college during high school or take some sort of placement test for "validation" since our local state university doesn't accept unaccredited homeschool classes for the foreign language requirement. It sounds like FIA will provide a good foundation for further study or at least good preparation for whatever test he might need to take.

Thanks so much for the information...and for helping me save some money, too! :)

Wow. I feel so important :001_smile:

I emailed my dd at college to see what chapter exactly she got to in FiA and I'll let you know when she gets back with me.

The FiA is a college level text. Level 1 is one college year, or 2 years of high school French 1 and 2, and level 2 is the second year of college or French 3 and 4 high school level.

And, my dd actually tested out of the first two years of college French, but the school only requires three semesters, so her requirement was fulfilled by testing out. However, since she wants to do French as a possible minor, they suggested that she start one semester lower than she tested just to make sure she was actually where she tested and to work her way into the expectations since this is her first time in an actual French class. She has always self-studied. So she is taking 4th semester French.

From her first several classes, she says she knows it all so far but is still really enjoying it; more than ever, so we are thinking she will probably study French as her minor.

Also, her French professor remarked to her several times during her first class that dd had a wonderful accent. LOL! She has never spoken French to anyone except back to the tape. This was good to hear and we are just thankful she was not 'behind'. Just more praise for French in Action.

Wow. I feel so important :001_smile:

Also, her French professor remarked to her several times during her first class that dd had a wonderful accent. LOL! She has never spoken French to anyone except back to the tape. This was good to hear and we are just thankful she was not 'behind'. Just more praise for French in Action.

This is not the first time I have heard someone remark on how FIA assists students with proper pronunciation but also the other components of communication (the Gallic shrug, for instance). My son has been concerned that his pronunciation is not up to snuff since he has limited conversational opportunities. Perhaps he will derive an ounce of reassurance from your daughter's experience.

Thanks for reporting this!

Jane

Ok, I've heard back from dd. Here is what she had to say:

"I think I went all the way through lesson 45, but I listened to the videos for 46 and I think also for 47 when I was reviewing this summer. The program ends at lesson 52, but I guess I must have gone far enough. The class they put me in after the placement test here is French 202, titled Intensive Intermediate French, and it's the class just immediately above the three semester competency requirement. I feel like I have been very, very well prepared for it. I am not as quick to translate individual words or phrases into English as some of the others in the class, but I think that's because I learned through the immersion method, and I have to stop and think when translating. I can answer slightly more fluidly in the foreign language itself (nothing complicated like discussions in French yet, just answering questions about a story in full a sentence), and the teacher told me after the first class that my accent had been very good. The classes are conducted almost exclusively in French, and so far, I have been able to understand virtually everything that's been said. The professor speaks more slowly and clearly than is the norm in conversational Parisian French, and that helps a lot. "

So there you have it. Hope this helps and encourages other French in Action users.