Menu

Buying a drone for Christmas?

Laurie

I saw this article that includes a website about drone safety:  http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2014/12/22/us/politics/ap-us-drones-safety-campaign.html?_r=0

A few weeks ago my daughter was watching a shopping channel on tv and I could hear that they were selling drones.  I stopped what I was doing and watched the presentation with her;  thankfully she wasn't interested in getting a drone!   I told her that if she ever sees one of those nasty things outside a window to let me know. 

It makes me sick to think of the perverts and burglars who will make good use of this technology.   Recently our local news had a story about some people who are being harassed multiple times a day in their own home by a neighbor with a drone.

If I ever see one of those things outside my window I will get the big net.  If I'm successful in capturing it, I'll bring it inside and use my Louisville Slugger on it.   So warn your kids, and Merry Christmas!

We see them all of the time at the beach. It is pretty cool how they can fly them out to get video of surfers or whales or dolphins. Some of them have amazing control and range.

But, I have never seen one in my neighborhood.

So, I can see both sides, I guess. Certainly people shouldn't be using them to harass other people, but that isn't their only purpose.

That type of drone isn't hard to build. As the article states, it's really just a sophisticated toy airplane.

"It makes me sick to think of the perverts and burglars who will make good use of this technology."

I was sick of them before they got toy airplanes. They didn't seem to have any problems messing around then, either.

We want a drone to go get the kids for dinner so we can stop screaming out the kitchen window. It's not going to happen, though. No budget.

We see them all of the time at the beach. It is pretty cool how they can fly them out to get video of surfers or whales or dolphins. Some of them have amazing control and range.

I wonder if the whales and dolphins like being harassed by drones.  :001_smile:

Here's my favorite drone video:     http://www.people.com/article/kangaroo-punches-drone-australia-funny-animal-video-pet