Menu

Teaching Textbooks Algebra 1 & 2, then Foersters Algebra 1 and Trig, can this be done

Can a child who does Teaching Textbooks Algebra 1 & 2 successfully be able to tackle Algebra 2 and Trigonometry by Foerster. even if only the Algebra 2 part? My son is 11 and has finished Singapore P6 and is finishing up Keys to Algebra soon. He has ADHD and can't sit through 25 to 35 minute lectures of Chalkdust. I was thinking of having him do TT 1 & 2 first and then Foerster . Will TT Algebra 1 & 2 provide a good enough foundation to shift to Foerster Algebra 2 ? I really would like him to do Foerster in the future because of its word problems. Thanks for any suggestions.

That is sort of my plan. DS used TT for Algebra 1 & 2. We will do Geometry next using Jacobs and then use Foersters for Algebra 2. He used TT in 7&8th grade and while he was ready for Algebra, I wanted it to be a fun and not dreadful experience. he now loves math and is ready to tackle the subject much more in depth over the next few years. I am so happy I used TT to get him past his math dread. It was a great decision for us.

~~Faithe

...would be very, very difficult. Foerster's Algebra I includes SO many application problems using the concepts learned in all different sorts of ways, and TT just doesn't do that. The skills that the student develops from translating all those word problems into the terms of mathematics lays some groundwork that is prerequisite. Foerster's Algebra/Trig is a really tough course, even for students who have made their way through Foerster's Algebra I. If you want to use TT Algebra I and II now, I suggest that you find a copy of Foerster's Algebra I and work through some of the application problems either as you go along or after finishing TT Algebra I and II. Without that extra practice in applying the concepts, my best guess is that a student would find Foerster's Algebra and Trig to be overwhelming.

...just moving your son directly into Foerster's Algebra I after he finishes Key to Algebra? A student with some gifting in math can begin Foerster's Algebra I at that age. I think the key would be to go slowly and not be concerned if it takes two years or more to finish the book. I would do both odd and even problem sets to reinforce each lesson, and I would be sure to teach the lesson personally to a child your son's age rather than just having him read the book's explanation of the concept.

Just something to consider...

Thank you for all the suggestions. I see value in going slowly but deep when using Foerster or other rigorous Algebra text. But I want math to be non-stressful at the same time because he is still young, turning 11 next month. I will try your suggestion of using tt 1 & 2 and foerster word problems. thank you very much

That is sort of my plan. DS used TT for Algebra 1 & 2. We will do Geometry next using Jacobs and then use Foersters for Algebra 2. He used TT in 7&8th grade and while he was ready for Algebra, I wanted it to be a fun and not dreadful experience. he now loves math and is ready to tackle the subject much more in depth over the next few years. I am so happy I used TT to get him past his math dread. It was a great decision for us.

~~Faithe

Just to clarify...I plan on having him complete Algebra 1 using either Foersters or Jacobs...a rather odd sequence, BUT that is part of why we homeschool. TT 1 &2 definitely prepared him for Geometry...he is at a great age to do Jacob's and VP is offering a class this year using Jacob's. My ds will do Alg. 1 & 2 in 10th & 11th grade. I hope I did not mess him up too much! :-)

Faithe

:iagree: I totally agree with LaJuana. In fact, she is the reason I chose Foerster's Alg. My son completed alg I in 1.5 years, continued with Jacob's geometry, and is currently studying Foerster's alg II. I have been very pleased with his progress, and have yet to find an algebra program that matches Foerster.

Susan