Menu

The Practice of Statistics, 3rd (or 4th) Edition- info

Guess it depends on the definition of solutions. The book I referred to is 9781429245593. Some of the MC type of questions have answers only, and the rest of questions (including some MC type) have decent solutions. I compared the textbook to certain chapters of the pdf version of the Solutions Manual, and the solutions are the same, except that for problems from Exercises section, only odd-numbered answers/solutions are provided in the textbook, while in the Solutions Manual, all problems have solutions. 

Not sure if there's a different TM that contains more detailed solutions.

The fourth edition has answers or solutions to all Check Your Understanding questions, odd-numbered Exercises, all AP Review Exercises and all Practice Test problems in the back.

That sounds like it would be plenty of information, so that I wouldn't need a teacher's edition.  Did you feel that way?  (I do have a background in statistics from grad school days, but haven't looked at it in 20 years....)  

That sounds like it would be plenty of information, so that I wouldn't need a teacher's edition. Did you feel that way? (I do have a background in statistics from grad school days, but haven't looked at it in 20 years....)

My kid is taking it at school, where textbook and solutions are provided. I only read the first a few chapters so far, so I'm not an expert to give you advice on this. But personally I would think the book itself is enough, at least based on 4th ed. Do you have to order them together? Maybe order the textbook first to see if it's good enough?

I have absolutely no background in statistics. Ds is taking AP stats through PA homeschoolers using the book. The book is the primary learning method. He was struggling in the beginning, so I joined in learning with him. It is a good book with clear explanations. Using some internet resources (the teacher gives links but you could find them on your own) and the book, I have had no trouble learning everything. There are plenty of times when there is an answer only given in the book - just a naked number - and I really wish there was a formula, or any work at all with it so I would know how they got there. I have always been able to figure it out and really, I am clueless, but if there were an easy way to get solutions instead of answers, I would have paid for it.

I have absolutely no background in statistics. Ds is taking AP stats through PA homeschoolers using the book. The book is the primary learning method. He was struggling in the beginning, so I joined in learning with him. It is a good book with clear explanations. Using some internet resources (the teacher gives links but you could find them on your own) and the book, I have had no trouble learning everything. There are plenty of times when there is an answer only given in the book - just a naked number - and I really wish there was a formula, or any work at all with it so I would know how they got there. I have always been able to figure it out and really, I am clueless, but if there were an easy way to get solutions instead of answers, I would have paid for it.

I have contacted the textbook company about the 4th edition solutions.  I have applied to be an "instructor" and am waiting to see what materials they will release to me.  I am waiting to see if I get access before I make a decision on the book....