Menu

California edition of algebra textbooks-different how?

I found a McDougal Littell CA edition(2001) of Algebra 1 at Goodwill. Ron Larson is one of the authors.

How, in general, do the CA books differ from the other ones? Should I be concerned about the overall scope or missing something?

Comparing it to the newer edition (2005) of PreA by same company and author, the pages appear less cluttered and the font is larger.

CA editions may include special hints/preparation for PS students to prepare for CA state examinations. Most of the textbooks we purchase for DD are TX editions and they have special things like that in them. 

You can sometimes find textbooks on Amazon that have been in "price wars" that have bottomed out that are incredibly inexpensive. We bought 2 Used textbooks on Amazon for DD last January. One for one cent plus shipping and the other for 58 cents plus shipping. Both described as "Used-Good" but are really "Very Good" or better condition. She is using them now.  Currently we have a carton that was shipped from Miami to Colombia Wednesday that is in Colombian Customs waiting for them to clear it, that contains 2 more textbooks that had been in price wars. One was 57 cents (9th grade Biology textbook that weighs almost 6 pounds) and the other was $2.80 (9th grade World Geography that weighs 4.5 pounds).  Very recently, I saw 2 Sellers on Amazon with the same textbooks on AbeBooks for less money. I'd never seen price differences like that before.

The "bottom line" should be to buy the best Algebra textbook you know about, because Algebra 1 is so basic to future success with math.  GL

ETA: There are quite a few threads on WTM about Algebra textbooks. HSers have a choice so I suggest you search for those threads. I paid $19.99 for the Algebra 1 textbook for DD, on eBay. That was $30+ less than it is going for on Amazon at this time. That's the 2nd textbook I have purchased for DD on eBay.