Menu

Great customer service from McRuffy Press!

FawnsFunnyFarm

So I just wanted to take a minute and share our recent experience with McRuffy.  

We have used McRuffy Math for years, 5 to be exact (though the one who started the trend has now moved on to something else, the others are still using it).  I have my last little one going through McRuffy K Math this year, I have one who is on his 4th year of McRuffy (he's doing 3).

Well, anyone who has looked at McRuffy knows there are lots of parts, plenty of variety, etc.  There are 3 sets of cards that come with the K resource kit.  Last week, our dogs decided to eat 2 of the 3 sets of cards from the youngest's math while we were out.  UGGGGGG.  I did not want to buy a whole new resource kit!  

I emailed Brian at McRuffy asking if I could get just the cards and told him why.  He emailed back with a very reasonable price and joked about the dogs usually waiting until the homework is finished to eat it.  He invoiced me for the cards and I paid sometime over the weekend.  The box arrived on Friday. This alone made me happy, we could get back on track right away!

Well, we opened the box and the entire family got lots of giggles.  Inside the box right on top was a baggie with some special cards in it.  "Cards for the Dogs".  Brian had taken his valuable time to find a mess of pictures of "treats" for the dogs and print them out onto cardstock (and cut them too).  There are Milkbones, steaks, bacon, dog food (even a can of kitty flavored Alpo hahaha), some Greenies, and even a cat.  

My kids are still giggling and I am a very satisfied mama/customer.  He didn't have to do any more than pulling a set of cards from his stock and ship them off, but he did.  It's little things like that that make for great customer service. :)

I'm using his new preschool math this year, first time using McRuffy (heard about it on these boards), and am very impressed. Dd and I both enjoy math time, it is very easy to adapt to the individual child, and it's fun! Just the ingenious wipe-off reusable workbook is worth it's weight in gold.

It's nice to hear more positive stories about the curriculum and it's author. BTW, we had a similar experience with the author of LoF back when it was fairly new. We called him with a question and chatted for quite some time. I can't imagine he is still able to do this now that the curriculum has become so expansive and popular.

We love his math!  It's crazy advanced but the kids don't even realize they are being pushed!

I did have to move my daughter from it, it was too much for her after the 1st grade book.  A few weeks into grade 2, I had to find her something new (TT which is working wonders for her now, after McRuffy grade 1 she tested into TT4, but we went with 3 because she needed to find her confidence again, it's worked ;) )

Every time - and I do mean EVERY.stinking.time.  - someone brings up McRuffy math, I get all sentimental and wonder why we ever switched in the first place.  (We switched because at the time we were with a homeschool-charter and dumb charter stuff came into play ::sigh:: .)

So, anyway, with younger DD weeping and hating every math program we've ever tried (except McRuffy) I'm once again thinking... maybe...  It really is gentle, but still challenging and fun.  Not too much writing.  I could comfortably stick her about halfway through the 3rd grade book.  She could probably manage grade 4, but she needs gentle.  She needs to learn to love math again.

We switched from Math Mammoth (good program, poor fit) to Saxon ( I love-hate it.  DD just hates.  Explanations make NO sense to her, too abstract, too much "algebraic thinking," makes her feel dumb. :(  )

LOL!  This song just popped into my head:   "I can't fight this feeling anymore..."

And, despite all that, I have no idea what I'll end up deciding.  But, this program really is a hidden gem.  

Every time - and I do mean EVERY.stinking.time.  - someone brings up McRuffy math, I get all sentimental and wonder why we ever switched in the first place.  (We switched because at the time we were with a homeschool-charter and dumb charter stuff came into play ::sigh:: .)

So, anyway, with younger DD weeping and hating every math program we've ever tried (except McRuffy) I'm once again thinking... maybe...  It really is gentle, but still challenging and fun.  Not too much writing.  I could comfortably stick her about halfway through the 3rd grade book.  She could probably manage grade 4, but she needs gentle.  She needs to learn to love math again.

We switched from Math Mammoth (good program, poor fit) to Saxon ( I love-hate it.  DD just hates.  Explanations make NO sense to her, too abstract, too much "algebraic thinking," makes her feel dumb. :(  )

LOL!  This song just popped into my head:   "I can't fight this feeling anymore..."

And, despite all that, I have no idea what I'll end up deciding.  But, this program really is a hidden gem.  

The bolded is why I switched ds to McRuffy and it really has made a huge difference! We love it!