Menu

Anyone here in North Dakota ....

Reflections

We just moved here... and yeah, it's cold.  But I think that I'm already acclimating.  Today when I took the dogs out, and it was -14F I thought that it wasn't so bad... the wind wasn't blowing and the sun was bright in the sky.  

I was rather concerned about homeschooling when we first knew we were moving here, but there have been a lot of hard won changes in the last couple of years that make it not so bad.  And I was really worried about the "climate" towards homeschoolers but so far, people have been encouraging.  

But I'm just wondering if there is anyone "here" that also lives in North Dakota.  :001_smile:

Seems to me there have been a couple over the years, but I can't remember who!  We lived on Minot AFB in the late 80s/early 90s.  

Funny that you're already thinking -14F isn't that bad!  It's all relative, isn't it?!  When it has been -30F, -14F seems almost balmy!   :lol:    

I'm glad you've found homeschooling to be better than you were expecting. That makes a big difference in everyday life.

Seems to me there have been a couple over the years, but I can't remember who!  We lived on Minot AFB in the late 80s/early 90s.  

Funny that you're already thinking -14F isn't that bad!  It's all relative, isn't it?!  When it has been -30F, -14F seems almost balmy!   :lol:    

I'm glad you've found homeschooling to be better than you were expecting. That makes a big difference in everyday life.

:lol:  :lol:  I got rather giddy when I saw that next week we might be in the 30s (on the positive scale) and maybe even a 40 the week after. 

We don't live in ND, but we're in west central MN so we're pretty close. Our town is on the Prairie so we have the same climate, too. It's amazing how quickly anything above zero starts to feel warm. ;)

I'm so looking forward to getting out and about - I want to see Montana.  Big Sky Country!  

When people talk about how cold this area is, they don't mention it's mostly because of the wind!  The wind is what makes it so ... challenging.

I'm so looking forward to getting out and about - I want to see Montana. Big Sky Country!

When people talk about how cold this area is, they don't mention it's mostly because of the wind! The wind is what makes it so ... challenging.

Yup. There's a reason we always give the temp with the windchill when we're talking about the weather. ;)

Maybe the ice will melt that's on my car next week...

It's always such a relief when the temp warms up enough for the ice to melt off the roads...

Sometimes that happens when the temp isn't necessarily much warmer, but the sun is shining and the wind not blowing.  A warm sun with no wind sure makes a difference!

It's always such a relief when the temp warms up enough for the ice to melt off the roads...

Sometimes that happens when the temp isn't necessarily much warmer, but the sun is shining and the wind not blowing.  A warm sun with no wind sure makes a difference!

Yes!  I'm actually surprised at how much and how thick the ice is on the roads.  The main roads are (mostly) clear but the even the major side roads have thick ice on them.  I concentrate really hard on my driving right now.  The bags of sand in my trunk are helping quite a bit until we can get a heavier (and larger) vehicle.  

Yes!  I'm actually surprised at how much and how thick the ice is on the roads.  The main roads are (mostly) clear but the even the major side roads have thick ice on them.  I concentrate really hard on my driving right now.  The bags of sand in my trunk are helping quite a bit until we can get a heavier (and larger) vehicle.  

Sand bags in your car is a great idea!

I lived in ND for many years, so I feel your pain. Walking to class in college is no fun in the winter, but it's character building. :-) To me it doesn't matter if it's 0 or 30 below - cold is cold. And you're right, the wind can make a huge difference! I hope you like it there!

Bismarck is beautiful.  And everyone here is very open and friendly.  There are lots of activities for the kids to participate in.  We are moving further (gulp) north - heart of oil country - but it's beautiful there too.  

There's a really large and active Homeschooling community up north as well.  I'm looking forward to meeting them.