Menu

Need ideas for ds's 18th b-day....experiences, not items

Aura

Ds is turning 18 soon. We're thinking instead of giving a physical gift, of doing something. But we're having a hard time coming up with something. We don't have a lot of money, so anything overnight is out of the question. We're within driving distance to Atlanta, though, if someone knows of something. We'd like it to be fun but also reflective of his becoming an "adult." We don't necessarily have to do it with him...it could be something he can do without parents along, depending on what it is. He is still in high school and he's not ready to drive in Atlanta! Any ideas?

My dh is taking my dd rock climbing for her 17th birthday (well, that's the plan).  It's an indoor place.  You could also go hiking/backpacking.  My girls both went to NYC with their aunt when they turned 16.  They saw a show and walked around.  You could also do something like that.  If he's adventurous (and you are too) he could take the MegaBus to DC and see stuff, of course, it's cold right now.  

That's so funny. I also thought ziplining. Ha. Rock climbing could be another thing in that vein.

Camping overnight could be cheap. Why can't he drive in Atlanta? It's not that bad. Not like driving in... ugh... Boston or something (sorry, anyone from Boston, it's just my measure of bad city driving).

That's so funny. I also thought ziplining. Ha. Rock climbing could be another thing in that vein.

Camping overnight could be cheap. Why can't he drive in Atlanta? It's not that bad. Not like driving in... ugh... Boston or something (sorry, anyone from Boston, it's just my measure of bad city driving).

I've never been to Boston, but Atlanta traffic is bad. It's also very fast on the interstates and highways. And ds hasn't been driving long enough to be ready for those kind of conditions. He hasn't even had his license for a year yet. (We were late getting his learner's permit, so that pushed his license back, too.)

I've never been to Boston, but Atlanta traffic is bad. It's also very fast on the interstates and highways. And ds hasn't been driving long enough to be ready for those kind of conditions. He hasn't even had his license for a year yet. (We were late getting his learner's permit, so that pushed his license back, too.)

I guess I'm biased... my mother sent me to Atlanta to see my dad the day after I got my license.  :tongue_smilie: