Menu

North Carolina

Does anyone know if there is a forum for people who homeschool in North Carolina?  I am particularly interested in knowing about the likelihood of my children being accepted at public schools such as UNC Chapel Hill and NC State.  I couldn't find pages on their websites designated specifically for homeschoolers and wondered if they are"homeschooler friendly."

Also, I was wondering if either of those schools accept CLEP scores.

Thank you for your time!

Both Chapel Hill and NC State are homeschool friendly.  Chapel Hill does require course descriptions from homeschool students without exception--this is very unclear from their website, and I actually found out from the WTM board that they were required a couple of days before the early application deadline.  Having said that, Chapel Hill's admissions are extremely competitive, and they will expect the same academic qualifications from homeschoolers as any other applicant--high SAT scores, rigorous course load (many sucessful homeschool applicants have multiple AP's or dual enrollment credits), and interesting EC's and great essays (Chapel Hill does a holistic review of each application, so the essays are read and they look closely at the "whole" student)

NC State's application was much different.  They do not use the Common App, and I recall the space allotted for essay type questions was minimal.  I think my dd spent less than an hour on this app compared to the hours spent agonizing over wording on other app's essays.  To be competitive for the  Engineering/ Stem majors, a homeschooler probably should submit SAT II's in Math (2) and Physics--not sure if it's officially required.  There are definitely some folks on here who have/had STEM students at State, so I suggest reposting this on the College forum.

In general, my experience is that you will get better answers related to UNC Chapel Hill or NC State on the WTM College board than on the various Charlotte boards.  

Chapel Hill definitely DOES NOT accept Clep scores.  They are generous with AP Credit (compared to similarly ranked private schooles, certainly), and dual enrollment credits from NC Community colleges are easily transferable.  Not sure whether State accepts CLEP, but I would doubt it.  I believe UNC Charlotte does accept Clep.