Menu

Searching for a college-level grammar reference book.

I need something to teach myself so that I can guide the way. I am teaching elementary school children at home. I took AP English courses in highschool and would like something that extends and cements what I already know about grammar, so I can teach it to my kids. I don't really like kids grammar workbooks and I would prefer to self-teach before I need to choose a grammar for the kids, or make one myself. 

This A Beka book is what I used in high school and still use today.  I kept my copy from high school (possibly the only useful thing I retained from an otherwise sub-par high school experience), loaned it out years later and never got it back.  I then bought a used copy on half.com for a dollar or two and keep it in my office for reference.  Everyone in my office uses it from time to time.

I found this one-year intensive: http://www.rainbowresource.com/proddtl.php?id=012157

Jensen's Grammar, Vocabulary, Punctuation, and Format Writing are sold in separate but affordable sets for the upper-elementary through college level.  I was looking for something like this, covering basics of grammar through advanced-level knowledge.