Menu

Two articles on new grad jobs and salaries

8filltheheart

http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2014/11/19/the-college-degrees-with-the-highest-starting-salaries-in-2015/

http://www.usatoday.com/longform/news/nation/2014/09/30/job-economy-middle-skill-growth-wage-blue-collar/14797413/

I read the first article and followed links within links to the second bc I was curious about the salary lists. The second article confirms our dd's experience with her OTA degree bc she is making as much as the top salaries listed for the top paying engineering degrees, received a signing bonus, and was able to complete her degree with zero debt.

The second article references 2 yr computer programming degrees pulling in $31/hr which is more than the engineering degrees.

I realize that many on here view college degrees as something more than jobs and income, but for students who are contemplating crushing debt and a 4 yr degree is a luxury that they really cannot afford or students who are contemplating a 2 yr CC and transferring to a 4 yr and for both scenarios they have no clear career objectives, it might be worth considering what career options there are for 2 yr degrees. Ou dd's experience has really opened my eyes to thinking about this time in their lives in a different way. An Allied Health program was the perfect match for her and she is incredibly happy with her decision. At 20 she has a great paying career and is saving $$ for her future.

Once again, geography weighs heavily into this equation--both in salaries and educational opportunities.

I had to look up the reference to an "OTA" degree--Occupational Therapy Assistant in case some of you were also wondering.  Not every community college has allied health degrees.  In rural communities, students would still either have to work and save to move to another area or take on some debt.

But I do agree that students and parents should research their options. My husband works with some people who have two year engineering tech degrees.  They make good salaries--but they won't be able to rise in management.  To be honest, not everyone wants to be a manager so this really is a good option to consider.

My dd did have to live 4 1/2 hours from home to earn her OTA degree.  There is only one program in the entire state.  However, b/c these programs are restricted geographically, the CCs actually have dorms (I was really shocked!) and off campus housing was easy to find (she didn't live in a dorm.)  It does make getting accepted into the programs fairly competitive.  Only 35 students from the entire state are accepted each yr.

And while, yes, I agree salaries are regional, we live in a fairly low COL area. (definitely not comparable to the north or west.)

Many of the employess on the lines make more money than the engineers b/c they make overtime.