Menu

Help with English

kribby

My dd was working on Rod and Staff 8th grade english and hated it. They had her doing alot and I mean alot of braking the sentences apart and putting into a fork. Noun here, then divide with line and verb , then direct object. She got to tired of it and man school just started. What can I do for English so we don't have fights everyday. Also, she loves to write stories and things like that. Any ideas will help alot. Thanks ladies.

I have ds using LLATL this year and he is doing well with it. I won't actually say enjoying because, well, he's a boy, and language arts just isn't his thing. But anyway, no complaining, fairly interesting, it breaks things up so you don't do the same thing forever.;) There are a couple of units that cover grammar, one just on poetry that your dd might enjoy since she likes to write, a few literature units, at ds' level, he is reading 3 books for literature. It also includes dictation and some spelling.

My dd14 has been using Language Lessons for Highschool by Queen's. She really disliked R&S strongly,and did a year of it, and yet language arts are her thing, so I didn't want every day to be a drag. She has done 2 years of Classical Writing, which she enjoyed (Aesop and Homer). This year she is using Queen's and an online writing course at home2teach.com, and Analytical grammar. Not all at once. The writing course is meaty enough to stand alone for language arts as it includes lots of grammar.