Menu

Algebra help needed!(cross posted)

My 8th grader is currently doing Saxon algebra 1 at home and LOF beginning algebra at a coop. He is doing great in LOF with an A average on homework and tests.

Saxon, however is another story. C- average on homework and a D average on tests. He hated saxon last year too.

I'm not convinced LOF is enough. What should we try next? Some of the mistakes are dumb mistakes, but I keep having to go back and reteach concepts.

Last year was our first year out of public school, and he always did great in math in school.

Are all/most of his errors careless, or did he not understand the errors he made in the Saxon text?  If he didn't understand his errors, then he needs more work on that concept.  But if he hates Saxon, then I'd switch.  To what, I can't say, because DD has a love-hate relationship with Saxon.  She says she doesn't like it, but is resistant to other curricula I buy for her to try.  So we stick with Saxon.

Algebra I is too important to let mistakes in understanding go very long.  In your situation I would run to Jann in Tx from these boards.  For a minimal fee she can pinpoint where the weakness is and help with direction from there.

I'm so thankful for her instructing my kids in upper level math.  I seriously don't say it enough on the boards.

http://myhomeschoolmathclass.com/

I'm not familiar with LoF, so I can't speak with regards to that.

I can say, however, that if this is his first year out of public school that I'd have him take a math placement test to be sure he is solid on his foundation and really ready for Alg 1.  I know Teaching Textbooks has one that is online (and free), but there may be others as well.

If he is solid and ready and not doing well with Saxon, then definitely change.  Many of us do not like Saxon to be honest (others love it).  The best math curriculum is not any one specific name, it's the one your child can learn from.

Many students from the ps where I work are NOT solid on their math foundation prior to hitting Alg 1, then have difficulty handling Alg.

Start by figuring that out, then go from there looking at other options.  I liked TT.  I also have liked what I've seen of Lial's.  But again, it all depends upon your student as to which is best out of all available.

How comfortable are you with teaching math?