Menu

Trainwrecks among formerly homeschooled students

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read the entire thread, but we had a friend at our last church who was a single dad (not his choice). His ex-wife had custody of the kids and "homeschooled" them--the 16-year-old son was on the internet playing games *literally* 12-16 hours a day, and the 14-year-old daughter hung out and took care of the 3-year-old. There was an 8-year-old too. I'm not sure if any school work was expected of them, but it wasn't enough if there was any at all. Eventually, the dad got custody and put them in public school, which was much better for them. I don't really consider that a homeschooling train wreck as much as a parenting train wreck, since she wasn't actually educating the kids or putting any effort into their learning.

I also knew a mom who homeschooled her kids and was upset by how slowly they were learning to read, so she put them in public school and felt like their progress was even worse. She brought them home and found a curriculum that she was comfortable with, and they found their niche and ended up doing fine.

There is a hsing family in our church that has 7dc biologically and 3 internationally adopted. Because of the adoption process the mother wanted to work for the adoption place called, Tree of Life, and since then she is gone alot.

The oldest dd/18 at home with all the younger ones is really the mother. She did not finish any of her highschool curriculum and has decided not to. Three of the other kids go to a charter school while the oldest dd hs the three adopted kids. Mom is gone alot and dad works as a school teacher at our local highschool. I call this a trainwreck because in the first place things were falling apart before they adopted and now it really is.

I really appreciate this thread. While it can be irritating to some, it has led me to give greater thought to what a "trainwreck" really would be in my mind.

When I make curriculum choices/adjustments (and there have been plenty of adjustments:)) my primary goal is that I never close any future doors for my dc. I don't want their future dreams/goals crushed or made more difficult because of an educational choice I made. I keep in mind that while I provide the best (on target, challenging but not frustrating) curriculum possible, as my dc get older I will have less leverage regarding whether or not they "refuse delivery" of their education. (You can lead a kid to learning, but you can't always make them "drink"). So I guess my goal is not only to choose great materials, but to instill early a love of learning and an understanding of all the doors it will open.

Reading this thread, I've come to the simple conclusion that a trainwreck would have to be the kid who gets to the end of their education (K-12) and finds themself at the edge of a cliff because they don't have the skills to bridge their way into adult life. (Through no fault of the kid)