Menu

My first smartphone-what's the best way to listen to music at the gym with it?

HappyGrace

I'm coming from a crummy, very old tracfone which I hardly use.

I'm now getting a tracfone smartphone-just a simple one (Samsung Centura). I am not tech savvy at all!

One big thing I wondered: I now use an older mp3 player at the gym; how can the smartphone best replace that for my gym music? The smartphone is too big to wear on my arm, like I do my mp3 player. Would I clip it at my waist with some kind of clip? If so, what kind? (I don't wear a belt there; I'd have to clip it to my workout pants somehow.) Would I use regular earbuds or should I get wireless earbuds? The phone is Bluetooth compatible-is there such a thing as Bluetooth earbuds? And if so, where would I wear the phone?

What's the cheapest and most effective way to handle this?

Also, where do I get the music? I basically listen to the pop radio stations at the gym; would I continue to do this, or are there apps or something I should be looking into?

I am totally CLUELESS-thanks for any help!

I can't help with the clip part, but for apps you should look into Pandora and Spotify. Spotify lets you search by artist and genre, Pandora allows you to 'create' a station based off of a certain thing (like I have 3 disney ones) and it plays music relating to that as well as what it considers similar (like I have a Garth Brooks station and it also plays McGraw, Jackson, Travis, etc).

I have an arm band designed to hold my iPhone 4s securely - I use it when I am lifting weights and it never slips. Cost was about $15.  It looks like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Armband-OtterBox-iPhone-Defender-Commuter/dp/B004WSWX92/ref=sr_1_2?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1414981427&sr=1-2&keywords=exercise+armband+iphone+4s

You could also get a small belt pack to put it in.  I see lots of folks at the gym wearing these.

Sometimes I listen to Pandora or iHeartRadio (both are available free with ads or pay without).  I have also loaded all of the old CDs I own onto my computer and load those from there onto my smart phone for listening.