Menu

Answer Keys to NCERT Textbooks: Free Texts from India

Hunter

I just found answer keys for the Indian NCERT textbooks.

http://schools.aglasem.com/?page_id=1302

There are multiple places you can download the texts. This is one of them.

http://www.examrace.com/NCERT-Books/Geography/NCERT-Class-6-Geography.html#pdfsection_53eae959-page_1-locus_0

And this is another

http://www.ncert.nic.in/NCERTS/textbook/textbook.htm?hesc1=0-18

• Like 5

At least for the math books, the answers are in a separate chapter file if you download individual chapters, which is what we've been doing. But somehow I just didn't notice that;. I was like, oh, no answers. Oh well. If you look here, which is the link to the 7th grade math book in English, you can see they're at the bottom, just before the brain teasers.

http://ncertbooks.prashanthellina.com/class_7.Mathematics.Mathmatics/index.html

At least for the math books, the answers are in a separate chapter file if you download individual chapters, which is what we've been doing. But somehow I just didn't notice that;. I was like, oh, no answers. Oh well. If you look here, which is the link to the 7th grade math book in English, you can see they're at the bottom, just before the brain teasers.

http://ncertbooks.prashanthellina.com/class_7.Mathematics.Mathmatics/index.html

Thank you! I did not know that.

• Like 1

I think the math answer keys start with grade 6? The files of the lower grades seem very large and like they will choke older and cheaper tech.  

The grades 6-8 are the most interesting to me. The files are of a manageable size, there are answer keys, and the grade 6 book is a entry level text. The three 6-8 books are comparable to GED prep and other general high school type programs. The Indian commas, vocabulary, and money can be a bit confusing, though.

Regarding the commas:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2010/10/19/130674804/counting-millionaire-india

I think the middle school ones seem by far the best of the ones I've looked over. That's what we're using. Overall the middle grades texts seem better than the others. They're more general, more accessible, aimed just right for the age and seem to potentially work better for an American audience as well.

FWIW, ds did not find the comma thing confusing. Or the rupees, or the few different terms we've hit as they've all been pretty self-explanatory. We have been confused by what exactly the problem meant a couple of times, even though the math was obvious we were like, what are we figuring out with one problem. Midway through, I suddenly said, oh, ds, it's CRICKET! The runs and the overs! It's a cricket problem.

• Like 1

That's what I'm thinking. For a student coming out of PS, who is a bit behind in math, and only has a few years left, that needs a multi-year course with an entry level book, this is spot on. The pdf doesn't lag. I'm really surprised this isn't used more. I think people just don't know about it.

I think I'm going to use the 6-8 science.

And some bits and pieces of the social studies, to provide some contrast to the vintage social studies. There is lots about human rights and equality and colonialism, that needs to be said. And I'm always attracted to books that include an agricultural emphasis as it's grounding.

• Like 1

I'm surprised that more people aren't on to the math as well. That was part of why I started a thread about it awhile back, about how much we were liking it. MEP gets a lot of attention, and Ray's and some of the vintage math that you can find for free, but this is a solid free math as well that's really good, and, as you say, loads really fast.

Last night I was working on the rough drafts for science and history. With the help of the Indian texts, I have been able to schedule a third subject called "social sciences", that will supplement the lacks in the vintage natural science and histories and count as a whole other subject/credit. When students and mom work harder, I really like them to get credit for that.

I'm really excited about the work I got done yesterday and am really thankful for these texts. Any student who has had access to a combination of vintage texts and Indian texts will be prepared to write some REALLY interesting research papers, and be able to engage is some interesting class discussions, and at the junior colleges, that is considered far more important than knowing where to place a comma and if you have mastered any higher maths.

Last week, when my plans to use the Synge books fell though, I was tired but so calm, because I just had faith there was something better waiting for me. 

• Like 2

Hunter,  you amaze me more and more each day!   I love the fact that these texts have "try me exercises"  they seem like they could work well with MANY different learning styles.  Feeling so blessed to have you contributing to this homeschool community....   Huge thank you

Susan Khan

• Like 1

Hunter,  you amaze me more and more each day!   I love the fact that these texts have "try me exercises"  they seem like they could work well with MANY different learning styles.  Feeling so blessed to have you contributing to this homeschool community....   Huge thank you

Susan Khan

You are sweet! Thank you!

I think it might have been Stripe that first linked me to the Indian texts a couple years ago. The problem for me with free stuff, is that I just rolled round in it, instead of doing what I'm doing now. I never tried to fit pieces of the free stuff into spread sheets. It suddenly gets crystal clear what fits TOGETHER vs what is lovely, but not for THIS spreadsheet.

For me, it's a high when a spread sheet comes together into a nice whole.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...