Menu

Okay, I feel a little clueless on how to teach my dd to write an outline from KHE..

jacqui in mo

My dd is in eighth grade & we have be using SOTW & KHE for history. We have been outlining very generally from the KHE last year. I'm wanting her to be more comprehensive this year, having a main topic with subtopics for each paragraph in the text. Yesterday's KHE assignment had 6 paragraphs. She generally can get the topic sentence/main point of the paragraph, but has trouble identifying the sub topics (Let alone any sub points of those). We've been through R&S exercises on outlines but it hasn't helped her here.

How can I help her look for the subtopics in a paragraph? (w/o crying would be nice:)) Should these type of outlines be topical outlines or sentence outlines? How picky should I be to have her write outlines that are as parallel as possible?

If you have any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it!

Jacqui

Yes, dont worry, KHE is hard to outline and you don't need to keep struggling with it.

I read SWB recommend people use the library books they get out each week (choose one, I guess). What I did was choose a particular book I had for our country's history (Australia) which was straightforward to outline, for our parallel stream of Australian history, and we just did assignments /reports for world history. Many people find different ways. I am getting my dd to outline an essay before writing it.

I thought it was just me! We struggled all year last year with outlining from the Kingfisher. I really wanted my daughter to do more of it ON HER OWN this year. But, after reading this, now I know it's not just her. She does have trouble with reading comprehension. Which is our main area of focus this year.

Thank you so much for this post. It was a confirmation of sorts for me!

Patty

I am in complete agreement with others here re: Kingfisher outlining.

Outlining, however, was not well understood by dd until we used Classical Writing Homer, which teaches outlining using narrative models. The "scenes" of a historical or fiction narrative form the basis for the outline. This made sense to my daughter.