Menu

It's chicken mummy day!

I have been waiting for this day for three years, since I first read WTM. Today we start mummifying a chicken! I'm both excited and a bit freaked out. Ds sounds rather leery about the whole idea.

After reading a lot of previous threads, I decided to go the washing soda route so I hopefully won't have to change the mixture as often as the original method.

A few questions for those who have been down this road:

- After you soak the chicken (Cornish game hen) in rubbing alcohol, where do you drain it? Is that ok down the drain, or do you pour it out in the yard?

- we are using the mixture of 2 parts washing soda, 2 parts baking soda, 1 part salt. When do I change the mixture (how many days)? How many changes did you do?

- how do you dispose of the soda/salt mixture?

Any words of advice?

The washing soda mixture you're using needs way less changing than if you just use salt or salt/baking soda (one reason I much prefer it).  I used this mixture twice (mummified two hens), and each time I only had to change the mixture once.

Definitely store it in a tupperware container, not a plastic bag.  When I changed the mixture, it had absorbed so much moisture that it was hard, and the hen had to be pretty much chipped out of it. I just dumped it in the regular trash.

I didn't use the washing soda, but change it when it gets saturated. it'll absorb quickly, but will need to be changed less frequently as time moves on.

We drained it outside (farm), and pitched the salt. We had great fun! (I also had to wait 3 years! Crazy. We invited two families to join us when it did it this summer. They thought I was crazy, hut a good tine was had by all)

The chicken mummification is underway! Ds thought it was super cool and wanted to participate as much as possible. My Mum (who thought this whole thing was crazy and tried talking me out of it) helped out and now thinks it is a great project.

I have placed the Tupperware container in the garage next to dh's hockey gear. I'm pretty sure the chicken won't smell as bad as that.

How long do I wait before changing the salt mixture? Am I supposed to check on it every day?

At first you change it more often, then it slows down.  You could probably change it after just a day, but then you'd want to wait a few days for the next change.  You'll be able to tell that the salt mixture is moist.  IIRC, we changed the wet portions of the dessicant and left the dry stuff.  It's like clumping cat litter. :)

The chicken mummification is underway! Ds thought it was super cool and wanted to participate as much as possible. My Mum (who thought this whole thing was crazy and tried talking me out of it) helped out and now thinks it is a great project.

I have placed the Tupperware container in the garage next to dh's hockey gear. I'm pretty sure the chicken won't smell as bad as that.

How long do I wait before changing the salt mixture? Am I supposed to check on it every day?

Most people are answering you based on the just salt and baking soda mixture that's more commonly used - with the washing soda natron, you do not have to check or change as often as they're saying.  This really has to be changed much less.  It was at least a week before I changed it, I think.  Probably more - it could have been more like two weeks.  I'd say check after a week and see where you are.  It was almost totally solid when I changed it - I took the chicken out and hacked off some of the sticky bits, then refilled with a new batch of natron mix.  If it's still loose it can absorb more.  It didn't smell all that bad, either.  And I only had to change it once.  Like two batches of stuff total.