Menu

Any ideas for a great Korean curriculum?

Language or history? 

One of my kids has been taking the Sejong Korean Scholars Program from SPICE and has really loved it.

It is a fair amount of work, but the level of exchanges that he's been having have been impressive.  I think it may be his favorite class.

My daughter took Korean at college. The text her class used first semester was: Integrated Korean: Beginning 1, 2nd Edition. There is also a workbook: Integrated Korean Workbook: Beginning 1, 2nd Edition (Klear Textbooks in Korean Language).

My daughter dabbled with the Korean Pimsleur program before taking a formal Korean class.

My husband began teaching himself Korean.  He used:  Teach Yourself Korean: A Complete Course.  I believe there is  a newer edition.  He did get to the point where he really needed someone who could answer his questions.  He's currently taking a class. 

You might check if there are any Korean churches in your area.  We've learned of one nearby that offers free Korean classes on Saturdays.

Also, something to keep in mind for down the road ~

National Security Language Initiative for Youth (NSLI-Y)

"The State Department’s National Security Language Initiative for Youth (NSLI-Y) provides merit-based scholarships to U.S. high school students and recent graduates interested in learning less-commonly studied foreign languages.

Eligibility Requirements

All applicants must be:

* A U.S. citizen who is currently enrolled in or just graduated from high school;
* 15-to-18 years old at the start of the program;
* have a minimum GPA of 2.5.

Languages Offered

There are seven languages: Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), Hindi, Korean, Persian, Russian and Turkish."

I've no first hand experience, but this program is well regarded. My daughter has a friend who valued her participation in their similar program for college aged students.

Regards,
Kareni

After years of searching, I found these high school Korean classes offered online through Fairfax County Public Schools.  They are expensive, but I haven't found an alternative.  (My impression is that they may be free for Virginia residents.) Students must also purchase a costly textbook/workbook set from the Dynamic Korean series.  Also, the parent must find a proctor for the semester and final exams.  I still haven't worked this out.

My first child's self-study resulted in placement in Korean 2.  My second child is in Korean 1.  There are many heritage speakers in Korean 1 that know a lot of Korean, unlike my child.  We thought he would be at a disadvantage but so far the class is not moving very fast and he is well above class average in his scores.

FCPS also offers Spanish, English, math, science and social studies classes--several AP--online, BTW.

Here is the link:

http://www.fcps.edu/is/onlinecampus/worldlanguages.shtml#k1