Menu

Sassafras Science Question..

I'm looking at ordering an actual book & not an ebook. I find that big books like that as ebooks are difficult, especially if a child wants to go back & look something up later, or an adult for that matter. However, I think the titles are right up my youngest student's alley & that they'd be well loved & enjoyed to help things blend together with what we are doing. 

With that said, is it worth the expense I will endure for shipping? Last night I was playing around with the website & it quoted me at $50 for having all three volumes {no TM's or anything} shipped to me. 2 were quoted at $39. I never thought to check for 1 until today, which is now quoting me at $50, in which case it's going to be cheapest {shipping wise} to just purchase all three. That takes these reasonably priced books up to a new level, meaning that instead of the reasonable $16 they were I'm now looking at about $32 each.

While I'm asking, anyone just read them without doing all the notebooking, experiments & extras? I don't really need all that for what I have planned.. :)

We bought ours on amazon -- not sure if that helps you in your situation (maybe their shipping is just as bad to your location?).   The first book I had my DD do the notebook pages and it was ok.  She wasn't very into it.  The teacher's guide wasn't incredibly helpful for us.   I have had my DD read the 2nd and now the 3rd books independently, without any notebooking.  She likes the stories and and I just consider it a science "extra" -- which for the size of the book, it was well worth $16, with no extra shipping charge via amazon prime.

Oo, thanks for that! They'll only charge me $25 for shipping.. Hmm, okay

Haha, posted too soon I mean to say I can snag Botany & Anatomy for a total of $50 {including shipping AUD}. I'd love the Zoo one, but I don't "need" it right now so it could wait.. ;)

I know it saves money but I think it might be good to hold off on ordering them all before even trying it out. I bought the first one and although the dc's liked it the first few weeks  it quickly became boring and repetitive. Read a little story, the same basic facts nearly listed and it is incredibly shallow. I couldn't stand to continue it as a readaloud, it really wasn't worth our time, there are much better books out there. For example we are reading the Scientist in the Field book, Tarantula Scientist right now, this is a great example of a living science book, the story is very engaging and it has tons of facts in it as well, considerably more than Sassafras.