Menu

ancient history using History of the Ancient World

We are using History of the Ancient World (SWB), but I'm not sure how to grade ds on this. He will read about 10 books from the GB list, and is doing a background paper and an essay on each work along with discussions. Is this sufficient for a credit in both English and History? He is using New Oxford Guide to Writing for Rhetoric. Do you give a credit for Rhetoric?? i hadn't planned on it, but it is a lot of work....

Susan

I had heard that SWB was having her son outline the chapters. What I'm doing is going through and writing out questions for each chapter and having my son answer the questions. He has outlined one of the chapters so far (we've been doing school for 2 1/2 weeks now) and I was not satisfied that he did a good enough job on that. I outlined it myself and had him compare outlines. Clearly my son need more work on this, so as we go further into the book I will alternate with the questions on the chapters and the outlining, so that by the end I'm hoping his outlines look more like mine. (This sounds pretty subjective, but every teacher does this.) He is reading a chapter a day with the outlining. It takes him about an hour. He'll do a paper at the end of the year on some topic that caught his interest this year.

With this scheduling, he will get through the book way before the year is out. I based his reading selections on the subject matter in the books, often pulling the reading selections from the notes in SWB's book. At times in my syllabus I expanded the subjects of the chapters by additional reading, and so my son will be reading for both history and reading. I made my syllabus this summer and as we are going through it I have already done some tweaking to the schedule. The Epic of Gilgamesh took much less time than I had budgeted, for example, and the myths we're reading together (aloud) from the first part of Bulfinch's Mythology will take less time as well. But I thought my son had read the Odyssey a few years ago and he hadn't, so we will have to tack on some time for that. The syllabus is a work in progress, but if you'd like to see it, pm me your email address and I'll send it to you. I'd like to get it somewhat perfected before we come around to the ancients again with my youngest son, but until then it will be pretty rough. My syllabus also includes Bible history which I'm treating as a separate credit but coordinating so the eras coincide.

It only goes to Constantine (300 AD). I would not use this book for a one-year world history course -- but my kids aren't going to do a one-year world history course. :)

I don't think this book alone is enough for an ancient history credit. I'm requiring some outside reading and a paper. I think it's going well so far. It's really too early to tell, but I'm pretty sure I'll follow this path with my other sons when we come around again to ancient history in high school. I'm trying to document and save all my work this time around so next time it will be a breeze. :)