Menu

Anyone using SL's new LA program?? Reviews Please!

Johanna

I am considering this for dd3rd/4th. can this be used independent of SL's core programs. We dont use anything by SOnlight so this would just be for dd's LA. Is it all connected/ inclusive (ie: spelling/grammar/writing)??

Is it easy for mom to prepare (I want no prepwork:-)

thanks!!

After looking at the samples, I loved the books that went with it.

Joanna--

I will try to answer, but we are using LA1, so it's a bit different. The grammar in it is the natural approach, not real specific, many people, including me supplement it. Writing, Sonlight has some really great creative writing ideas, but not alot of direction as to how to write, even so, this is my favorite part of Sonlight's LA. Spelling, this depends on which LA you are looking to buy, some include spelling, some don't. If it does, all Sonlight gives you is a list for spelling, sometimes there are activities that correlate with the spelling words like spelling it out with word tiles or oral fill in the blanks. Hope that gives you a better idea!

HI,

I just sent back my SL LA today! I was using the LA for Core 3+4 for creative writing along with our R&S 4. It has basically no grammar instruction and the writing has very little as well. I suppose if you had not ever seen anything else you accept it. I was constantly frustrated at the lack of instruction. It would tell us to make an outline for report we were to write. Yet, there were no instructions for outlining. Well, there was an appendix that had outlining instruction if your dc were in 7th and up. I also didn't feel confident in my grading these assignments. I do not have a "writing" education hence I can't correct her properly. Some of the assignments were fun but I feel like any of them "taught" us anything. There is no spelling in this either.

We are going with IEW next year b/c I need specifics. I suppose if you are writing savvy you could SL. It is all laid out day by day with no prep involved.

We are in our 2nd year of SL History and I can say that we are "home" in this one area! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT! I have learned more in 2 years than I ever knew about History!

HTH,

Barb

I am considering this for dd3rd/4th. can this be used independent of SL's core programs. We dont use anything by SOnlight so this would just be for dd's LA. Is it all connected/ inclusive (ie: spelling/grammar/writing)??

All SL LA prior to Core 3 are independent of the Core itself. In other words, you can purchase the reader package (ie - grade 3 Readers, Grade 3-5 Readers) and the LA IG that goes with that particular reader package separate from any of SL's Cores. Beginning in Core 3, the the LA is integrated with the readers and history of the Core. You wouldn't want to purchase the LA Instructor's Guide without the Core as the readers aren't available as a separate package for Core 3 on up. Make any sense? :o Lots of people confuse "Language Arts for Grade 3 Readers" with "Language Arts 3" (that goes alongside Core 3). So . . . don't purchase LA3 unless you plan to purchase Core 3.

Spelling is included in the LAs prior to LA3 for Core 3. Beginning in LA3, spelling must be purchased separately. Grammar is virtually non-existent in any of the SL LAs. This is because SL relies on Ruth Beechick's philosophy that grammar is needed only around middle and high school. Beechick believes students need lots of reading and writing and that they'll acquire grammar naturally along the way. SL actually consulted with Dr. Beechick to redesign their LA just this year, removing nearly all grammar instruction. I use R&S for grammar.

I agree with the other posters that the IGs contain little guidance in terms of writing nuts and bolts. I like the creative content of LA3, but don't like that there isn't sufficient explanation for how to perform and grade the assignments given. There is ABUNDANT and challenging writing assignments in our LA this year. If my son hadn't nearly finished R&S 3 and Writing Strands 3, he wouldn't be able to successfully complete any of them: biographical essays, a research report with bibliography, etc.

I love, love Sonlight. Their history and literature are first rate, IMO. We will definitely be using Core 4 next year--but I'll be supplementing with IEW. I'm not comfortable with so little guidance to teach writing.

Good luck.