Menu

What should I use for writing?

plain jane

My 5th grade child has done all 4 levels of WWE successfully. She's also done a few of the IEW theme books and can write a solid paragraph, and multi paragraph reports/stories.  However, she is already finding WWS1 difficult and we are only on week 2!

I'm at a bit of a loss WRT what to do with her.  Should we keep using WWS1 and take it at a much slower pace? She's going to require a whole lot of hand-holding and I would really like to avoid the water works.  FWIW, she's never cried about a writing program before!  I've looked at TC but that looks too easy for the level she's at.  She's also done some Classical Composition (but only about half a dozen assignments as she found it rather boring).  I also have Write Shop but don't love it but I think she could possibly do it, I'm just not convinced it's a fabulous program.

I'm at a bit of a loss and would appreciate any input.  TIA!

We transitioned from WWE to CAP Writing and Rhetoric.  We love it!  It is creative and builds on many of the components of WWE.  It is challenging as skills progress, but it's also fun.  It has 10 levels, and 4 are out right now, but you do approx. 2 levels per year.  It starts with Fable, but your daughter may be able to fly through that one and go to narration.  However, it won't hurt to start in fable and build confidence in the program, and it is fun to rewrite the fables into your own story.  I highly recommend it.  

FWIW, SWB has a sticky about possibly delaying WWS a year on the board.  It is a big jump in skill from WWE.

My two suggestions are "taken" but I'll just post to agree with them!  Either do writing across the curriculum the way that SWB describes for 5th grade in her Middle Grades writing lecture, and try WWS again next year - you won't be behind!  Or, if you want a writing program that offers a nice transition between the skills in WWE and the skills in WWS, try Writing & Rhetoric.  You could do Narrative 1 and Narrative 2 this year, and then either try WWS next year, or if you like W&R, continue with it.  Narrative 2 introduces some of the skills in early WWS lessons, in a simpler way with easier texts.  It is a nice transition if you decide to go that route.

But if you check out the linked threads, you will see that WWS isn't for everyone - so if you decide on something else, all is not lost!