Menu

TOG

Yes, you can use books you already own. The exact accountability questions may not be covered in the readings, but usually we can find some information. Most of the discussion questions can be discussed. Sometimes I'll find myself lecturing a point rather than discussing it.

You can check my blog for how I use TOG. I try to use as many of the books in the core reading list as possible, however with children in 3 different levels it's not financially feasible to purchase all the books. I pick and choose, use alternatives, and substitute as needed. It may not be ideal, but it works!

JFYI: TOG classic was created so you could use anything off the shelf and run with it. It's more flexible than the redesign. However the redesign is easier to open and go than classic.

I'd type more, but one of the littles is crying....

Classic TOG is the original curriculum that was produced. It combined many levels with the same books and used general accountability and thinking questions. Redesign is the updated version. Most of the extras that come with TOG: map-aids, pop quizzes, exams, poetics, etc. correlate with Redesign.

Here's a post by Marcia Somerville, author of TOG, about Classic, Redesign, and using alternative books without sacrificing quality.

http://tapestryofgrace.com/blog/2011/03/homeschooling-in-hard-times-money-and-books-part-i/

Here's the second in the series that continues with more ideas for using alternative books. :001_smile:

http://tapestryofgrace.com/blog/2011/05/options-with-unit-study/

Just adding that we have started with TOG and *love* the flexibility & discussions. I *really* appreciate the teachers notes. We use their recommended core books but pick and choose the extras.

I also want to add that their staff is superb. They are very helpful with questions, recommendations and have even gone through the book list with me. :-)