Menu

The Evolution of Calpernia Tate

chelsmm

The kids and I just started listening to the audiobook in the car after seeing it recommended here several times.  My kids are only 7 and 8, and maybe I should have read more about the book, but I was totally blindsided when they talked about a woman getting murdered by her husband with a pitch fork!  Wow, that kind of seemed to come from out of nowhere.

I turned to look at the kids after that part of the book, and they were wide eyed with jaws dropped.  I stopped the recording to explain, best I could.

Anyways, just thought I'd mention that.  Otherwise, the book is fantastic.  I really love it.  Calpernia is a sweet, funny girl, and the relationship she develops with her grandfather is really nice.  The parts about nature and Darwin are very interesting for all of us as well.  And the history is interesting too.  But that little part about the murder was kind of a surprise!

I don't remember that part. It is such a great book that I guess I forgot about it. So much to love about the book. I can't wait share it with mine, especially my girls. I have had a few awkward audiobook car moments that a pause and discussion was needed. It's always the classics and must read children's books that get me.