Menu

Switching to Math Mammoth

Guest megma42

Hi,

My daughter did Singapore math (1B/2A) for 2nd grade last year, and I'm switching her to Math Mammoth for 3rd grade this yr. She took a placement test and did great on place value, mental math and story problems, but other than that there was a lot she didn't know yet (a lot of it was just presented differently than she was used to which confused her). I looked at their samples for the 2nd grade textbook and most of it looked appropriate for her, but I don't want her a yr behind. I want to keep her on grade level in case we don't continue homeschooling. Plus, she's actually good at math, she just hasn't had a lot of the information yet (at least not presented in that way). I'm thinking of buying the Blue series bundle (1-3rd gr for $45) and just going topic by topic, starting with where she's at and continuing from there in the hopes that I can fill her gaps without holding her back a year. Can anyone who has used their Blue series tell me if that sounds like it might work? Any suggestions?

I use the light blue series, but I have twice used it with an older child (8 and 9 respectively) who had done math mostly through games, living math, and other informal resources. I start them in level two, and they tend to move through the topics quite quickly; I have them do only as much as they seem to need for each topic, then move on. We keep working through in an accelerated manner until they need to slow down; my older DD covered 2B-4A in about a year. Ds covered what he needed from 2A and B in about a month and is now working through 3A. Grade three reviews a lot of what is covered in grade two, but with less scaffolding and broken down by steps practice.

Sorry I don't have experience using the blue series, though I do think it could work for you.

I use the topical series and usually mix together a couple of topics for variety. One thing you wouldn't get are the tests which I can't imagine using, but sometimes paradoxically miss anyway. It is working, but if I were to do it over I would get the series formatted as a currículum. Either way, we do fewer problems in sections she seems to understand and more (sometimes circling back) in sections she doesn't seem to get.

you could get the year 3 revision book and work through that then start year 3. If there were big gaps you could get the appropriate topic book. I found when I got a topic book on fractions that we were going along fine (as was 6) then all of a sudden he needed division.