Menu

Teachers Lounge Open Today Only! 9-10-14q

scrapbookbuzz

Greetings, one and all!

Just thought it might be fun to pop in and open the Lounge for the day!

Have you started school? How's it going? here: yes, but via fits and spurts. I'm not sure we'll ever get on a routine

but I keep trying!

Are you using a set curriculum or piece-mealing? Yes and yes, here. We started out with Sonlight this year and will most likely

still use some of the books but not the schedule. This was a Core I already had. 16yo dd is in  US History/Lit class that takes some time

with her homework, plus she's doing college level Algebra and science so we may not get to anything else besides daily devotions with her

for several weeks.

For my 10yo ds we'll be using Old Fashioned Education (it's free and available online with access to many, many public domain books).

I'm going to do my best to get us on a schedule starting tomorrow. 

What's for or what was for dinner? Here: we're having breakfast for dinner. Breakfast ham (bought on sale at Target), plus scrambled eggs

and fruit.

What's something interesting you read today? I read a comment on Facebook in which someone stated that "People homeschool for religious reasons and faith is the 

antithesis to knowledge." Really? I told him that 1) Not everyone home schools for faith-based reasons, 2) Faith is not the antithesis to knowledge,  and 3) if he's so interested in the facts, he should get his facts straight

before posting!

Talk to me! :bigear:

Hi ya, Scrap!  

No school here yet.  No school planning even yet.  Things are crazy with Dad's death, then camp, then dd having wonky health issues (which have led to hours of pokings by doctors) and then a minor car accident.  No time for school.  

Dinner - chicken yakisoba which dh picked up for me because I was trying to get home through rush hour traffic with dd after a two hour poke and prod session (aka another doctor's appointment).  

Interesting read - Let's see, all the magazines in the doctor's office are old!  

Hi!

Yes, school has started, although I'm no longer teaching any students of my own. My son moved into his dorm and started his first semester as a full-time college student back in August, meaning I have been forcibly retired from the homeschooling business. My son seems to be doing well, though, and I have hired myself out to torture -- I mean teach -- other people's children, which is also going well so far. So, I've decided this qualifies me to enter the teachers' lounge.

This does mean, though, that I can't play along when you all start in on the "what curricula are you using" game, which makes me a little sad.

Dinner was catch-as-catch can tonight, because I was working and my husband went to a gaming night at a local comic book store. He stopped at Subway on his way to the store. I grabbed a snack from the Fresh Market near the tutoring center. 

I read an article earlier today about a study done on how being a parent affects both job prospects and potential earnings. The researchers found that, in general, women were less likely to be hired if their resumes suggested they might be parents, while men were more likely to be hired. Similarly, women tend to make less money if they have more children, while men tend to make more money after they have kids. In theory, the research that led to both of those conclusions was designed and adjusted to account for things like experience, education, hours spent on the job each week, etc. They did their best to isolate the idea of having kids as the only variable. 

Of course, life isn't as simple as that, but I did find the research intriguing.