Menu

Dolciani Algebra Answer Keys

I own Dolciani's Modern Algebra Structure & Method Book 1, and Modern Algebra & Trigonometry Structure and Method Book 2, however I haven't been able to find the Teacher's Editions which, I believe, contain the answer keys.  Has anyone contacted Houghton Mifflin for the answer keys and, if so, do you have the contact information?  I've tried online but their 1-800 numbers don't work in Canada (where I am), and I was only able to reach an obscure department who didn't know what I was talking about.

I'd appreciate any information anyone can give.  I have seen some WTM threads about this topic, but they are somewhat old, so I thought I'd see if there is any new information out there.

Thanks in advance!

I own Dolciani's Modern Algebra Structure & Method Book 1, and Modern Algebra & Trigonometry Structure and Method Book 2, however I haven't been able to find the Teacher's Editions which, I believe, contain the answer keys.  Has anyone contacted Houghton Mifflin for the answer keys and, if so, do you have the contact information?  I've tried online but their 1-800 numbers don't work in Canada (where I am), and I was only able to reach an obscure department who didn't know what I was talking about.

I'd appreciate any information anyone can give.  I have seen some WTM threads about this topic, but they are somewhat old, so I thought I'd see if there is any new information out there.

Thanks in advance!

I have been able to find Dolciani Teacher Editions, which typically have the text of the student book, with answers to (most) problems in color next to the problem.  [sometimes solutions requiring graphs aren't include.]

The Solution Manuals are (at least in older editions) paperback books with very concise representations of the answers to each step for a problem.  In other words, it might have (2x4)(2x6) > (8)(12) > 96  but not an explanation that this is because you do parenthesis first in order of operations.  [so no explanation of the solutions, like you might find in AoPS or an Apologia solutions manual.]

While I have found TMs for older editions pretty often and at prices I'm ready to pay ($30-90), I have very seldom found actual solution manuals.  I think I got one once from Amazon.  Often when they are listed they have prices in the hundreds of dollars.

They might be more available in the more recent editions.  Harcourt was still selling Dolciani as "The Classic" up to a couple of years ago. 

There was a group of folks several years ago who got permission from the publisher to make several copies of a solution manual that one person had.  If I remember correctly, they had to specify who was getting copies and for what use (ie, classroom or homeschool use).

I stay away from sites that claim to have downloadable pdf's of solution manuals.  At best they are a copyright violation.  At worst, I'm pretty sure that one nasty virus of our root menu stemmed from my trying to find samples of science book TMs online.

Also, the solution manuals aren't necessarily interchangeable from editions to edition.

But if you can figure out the ISBN of the exact one you're looking for, sometimes you can find them listed with bad titles so that they don't show up in a normal search.

One more wrinkle.  Before the mid 70s, the books don't have ISBNs.

I have a copy of the SM for the Algebra 1 Revised Edition (copyright 1970, 1973 impression) and it has no ISBN.  It has a red cover with a bunch of circles that match the textbook illustration.  There is a publisher book number on the back cover of 2-14300.  I've sometimes seen these listed as AIN or in the place of an ISBN.

Thanks Sebastian!  I guess I should have specified that Book 1 is published 1962 and Book 2 1963.  I tried doing a search last night and just the texts were coming up at $950 and $60 respectively.  Yikes!  But I couldn't find teacher editions or solutions manuals and I'd like to get them ASAP.

I did see some of the threads about people getting the manuals directly from HM.  I'll pm the posters if I have to, but I thought there might be someone hanging around who has requested the solutions recently and may have the contact information.  These must be pretty good texts to have people go to such lengths to get the answers!

In case it helps, the TM I have for book 1 is copyright 1965 and 1962.  I don't think there is a difference between the 1962 and 1965 student textbooks until you get to chapter 14 - Geometry and Trigonometry.  The first couple lessons of chapter 14 are the same, but then there are some differences.

Actual TMs have a mint green section of pages before the rest of the text.  This gives good info on important points for the chapters as well as a brief pacing guide.

Sometimes the student texts are listed as TMs because they have answers to odd problems in the back.  If all you need are answers to check, you can do a lot with just a student book.

I keep my eyes out for Dolcianis everywhere I go.  I've picked up quite a few and finally have most of a complete set.  But it has taken several years.  Thrift shops, used book stores and big rummage sales have been good sources. A few have come from Abebooks.com or from Amazon.

Because I live in Canada, they are not easy to find here, in fact I've never seen any in the used bookstores and thrift stores I frequent for books.  However, I do live near the border and go across regularly, so I'll keep my eyes open.  

I bought the books that I have on Amazon, and I can keep an eye out.  But if no one else chimes in, I may try Houghton Mifflin again.  It may take awhile but hopefully I can find some to help me.

Thanks again!

This 1963 is listed as a TM, but I would e-mail the seller and ask questions such as, "Does this have a section of green pages in the front of the book?"  And I'd ask them to double check the pub. date.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00JEGF9E8/ref=tmm_other_meta_binding_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&sr=8-3&qid=1410492784

Hi Colleen!  It's good to see your posts again!  I've been off the boards for awhile trying to keep up with my dd's sports schedule.   :willy_nilly:   

Thanks for the link.  I'm checking with them to make sure that it is what it says it is.

Jumped, I will check E-bay.  You are right ~~ they are expensive!  Yikes!  But I guess there's not much you can do, and once you have them, you have them.

Thanks all! 

Fwiw I did fine with just the student book for Algebra. It has answers to odd problems in the back. I was able to keep up with my kids by doing problem sets on the weekends or sitting at swim practice. Dolciani has a lot of problems.

The TM says that a student should do only odd or only even. For some books I've even seen it laid out with three tracks where a student skips the easiest or the hardest sets in a lesson, depending on the pacing and goals for the class.

Sebastian, apparently the student book can come with all the answers, answers to odd problems or no answers, and sadly my book is the one with no answers.  So I really need so find something.  I'm learning alot about Dolciani through this process though!   :svengo:

Ouch. That is a bummer. It's tough with the old editions that have no isbn.

Actually I just looked at my copy of the algebra 1 book. No answers. But I would have sworn I'd used the answer key in the back a couple years ago. I did some swapping and shed a lot of books when we moved. May have accidentally kept one with no answers.

I have the following for sale.

Algebra: Structure and Method, Book 1, Teacher’s Edition by Dolciani, et al.

Copyright 1981.  The ISBN (in the student portion of the book) is  0-395-29187-9.

and

Dolciani’s Algebra and Trigonometry: Structure and Method, Book 2, Teacher’s Edition
Copyright 1977, ISBN: 0-395-24579-6.

Send  me a personal message if interested.

Regards,

Kareni