Menu

Art questions ??

If we do a combo of different things, studio, art history  etc...  and use various resources ?  Or do you all stick to either  studio or art history as separate classes?

DD found a great book about caricatures , the history  and a guide to draw them which she is very interested in , but I don't want to just list that as our resource because it probably wouldn't be considered a years worth of work.

Does anyone know of any good free lessons online for different studio art projects?? 

So I guess what I am asking is how should we write this on our IHIP?? if we don't have a specific curriculum?

Thanks!

Studio Art and Art History are two different subject. A good Studio Art class will include some art history, but it won't be emphasized. If you're interested in giving credit for either or both of these subjects, it's a good idea to look around the web for course descriptions and syllabi. Google "Art History Syllabus" or "Studio Art Syllabus" and add "high school" to the search if  you find it necessary. Once you read some course descriptions you will have a feel for what is included in each course. Once you know that, you can customize your own plan and then chart out your course. 

What constitutes a full credit will depend somewhat on your homeschool laws - are you required to spend a certain amount of time on a subject? Do you have to record hours? Generally speaking, a full credit means a student has spent at least 120 hours on the subject matter. So, to get both an art history and a studio art credit, there would be 120 hours of work in each area. 

There are some great posts on TWTM boards about designing your own courses. I think Lori D. has done a few outstanding ones, so search for her posts to get you started. 

There are pre-packaged art and art history courses for high school as well - search for those on the high school forum to get some recommendations. 

Studio Art and Art History are two different subject. A good Studio Art class will include some art history, but it won't be emphasized. If you're interested in giving credit for either or both of these subjects, it's a good idea to look around the web for course descriptions and syllabi. Google "Art History Syllabus" or "Studio Art Syllabus" and add "high school" to the search if  you find it necessary. Once you read some course descriptions you will have a feel for what is included in each course. Once you know that, you can customize your own plan and then chart out your course. 

What constitutes a full credit will depend somewhat on your homeschool laws - are you required to spend a certain amount of time on a subject? Do you have to record hours? Generally speaking, a full credit means a student has spent at least 120 hours on the subject matter. So, to get both an art history and a studio art credit, there would be 120 hours of work in each area. 

There are some great posts on TWTM boards about designing your own courses. I think Lori D. has done a few outstanding ones, so search for her posts to get you started. 

There are pre-packaged art and art history courses for high school as well - search for those on the high school forum to get some recommendations. 

Thank you very much! I do have the schedule set with the required time for the subject. I was unsure about the curriculum but I will do the searches you recommend & I Think we will do the Studio Art this year with the touch of history.

Thanks again for your help!