Menu

Looking for a basic grammar text...

My dd (18) is a Sr this year. She has a few learning differences and works slow but steady. I've really seen a jump in her academic maturity this past year and she has asked me to step things up a bit for her final year--she hopes to go to the local community college to get certification as an x-ray tech.

English is her low subject. Her writing has started to blossom, literature is under control and vocabulary is in place-- but I need a solid grammar program to round out the credit.

Any suggestions for a one-more-time through grammar program?

TIA!

R&S 8; it's very, very thorough, but perhaps it's a bit more than you need.

If you're looking for something more workbook-style, you might try Abeka Grammar & Composition IV, but skip all of the writing exercises, since you're already doing writing on the side.

I've heard of Analytical Grammar and other programs, but these are the only two I'm familiar with. Sorry to not be of more help!

Guest pasomers1

We used Easy Grammar and really liked it. It is just as the name implies -- easy. It isn't as thorough as some of the other popular grammar programs, but for general instruction, I think it covers the basics. We found it worked great for us -- my son struggled using A Beka -- which was too intense. He grasped the way Easy Grammar teaches from the proposition first and has never had any issues with writing since. The Plus version is for 7-12th graders and if you just get the teacher book, you can have your dd cover the opposite page that has the answers.

Someone on another board posted a link to this: Grammar 101

I've not looked all the way through, but it seems thorough, and it appears to be completely self-contained (instructions, practice, test), independent work.

DS has just started using it and enjoys it, seems to be getting it, etc. I don't plan to record anything except the end-of-unit test scores, so he's doing it almost completely independently. Mainly we're going with this because we needed "something" for grammar but don't really have the time available to devote to a whole program.

My 8th grader will be using Jensen's grammar this year. It looks like a solid, cut and dry grammar book with instructional material, lessons, and tests. It is suppose to be for upper middle to high school. I want this to be our last year of grammar and I wanted something that had lessons that just got to the point while giving ds more depth than he has had so far. There is no diagramming, btw. You can check out sample pages online. We won't be starting school for a few more days, though, so we'll see how it works out.

After looking at both R & S and A Beka, I went with A Beka for my 9th and 10th grade daughters last year. It was great for one and terrible for the other. In fact, I'm going to go back to R & S 8th grade texts this year. I like the conversational format better than the A Beka.

Easy Grammar is another good program, but it is what it says "easy". If you want more thorough coverage, I think that R & S is better. However, if your daughter really doesn't need to know how to diagram participial phrases, but needs the basics to be able to write and edit effectively, Easy Grammar might be a good choice.

In the handbook category suggested by someone, I like Writer's Inc. It is thorough and quite user-friendly.

Yvonne

... In the handbook category suggested by someone, I like Writer's Inc. It is thorough and quite user-friendly.

Yes, I like these handbooks too. There is also a good one called Write for College: A Students Handbook by Patrick Sebranek. I have an earlier edition; however, here's a link to the newest edition of Write for College. It's fairly affordable too -- slightly above $20.00.

Regards,

Kareni