Menu

So, who's at N.A.S.H. this weekend and wants to tell the rest of us about it?

The original thread about the NASH (National Alliance of Secular Homeschoolers) conference/convention turned into a bit of a debate and I just want gossip/info.  So who's there? How's it going? Anything new and exciting?

NASH website http://www.nationalallianceofsecularhomeschoolers.com/conference.html

Original thread   http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/514849-secular-homeschooling-conference-finally/page-2?do=findComment&comment=5680919

I have a friend who went. She posts here sometimes...

I'm hoping, hoping this group ends up getting themselves together. They're so new and they've already refined their message a couple of times (for the better) so I'm hoping they keep doing that and keep finding their mission - in a good way. We were just in Georgia last month so I didn't feel like i could go back, but maybe if they hold the conference there again...  (though they said they were looking at Florida for the next one, I think...)

I saw another thread on another forum go south about N.A.S.H. For different reasons, I think. I'm interested as well, just for nosy reasons. The info I have seen so far looked rather ill-defined, and feedback wasn't accepted gracefully - I'm curious to see whether they took a step back and integrated some of the constructive criticism.

Yes, me too. I feel like a brash, in your face blogger is probably not the best face for a group that needs to walk a line...  When I've asked some questions and tried to give some ideas, I've mostly gotten nonsense in response. And their whole mission seems odd to me. Sure, I'd like more secular curricula, but that's happening naturally and I don't know that it needs a group and a conference. What I really think homeschooling advocacy needs is a strong voice that makes it clear to politicians and the media that HSLDA does NOT speak for all homeschoolers and that much of their rhetoric is scare tactics. I don't know that this organization is coherent enough to do that very well yet. But... On the other hand, they're new. They're so new. They don't even have a formal board yet. So...  hoping. I hope the conference goes well.

Oh, that sounds promising but yet again like another place we wouldn't fit in (we're just not conservative or fundamental enough). I guess I shouldn't care as a Christian but I'd love more options to just talk about schooling. I don't won't try to convert anyone, I promise. 

Some may know ;) , I'm very secular but I would be happy to attend a conference that was neutral.  With workshops/speakers who were neutral (SWB-like).  People and topics that would appeal to almost all of us.  They would talk about Education and learning, they would only bring their own belief of God or the lack thereof into the conversation from a gentle personal point of view (no trying to convert one way or the other).  

Hopefully after the weekend someone will be back full of info. 

Reporting back: The conference was on the small side (maybe 100, 150 attendees?), but there was a lot of energy and enthusiasm. I was only there for the last day, and I had to spend most of my time person-ing the home/school/life magazine table, so I am sure I missed lots of interesting stuff. There were a handful of excellent presentations (the one on putting together a homeschool science co-op was great, with lots of nuts and bolts), and I hope they'll have more of those in the future. There weren't a ton of vendors, but it was great to chat about secular science with the folks at Pandia Press and to meet the lovely couple behind the Build Your Library curriculum, both of which I am a fan. A big portion of the conference was dedicated to talking about NASH and what it should be and what it should do. One of the projects that they're working on that I think is just great is putting together a master list of secular curriculum materials, starting with science. It felt like a first conference, if that makes sense, but I liked what I saw and will definitely be planning to attend the next one. (And I did mention the WTM boards to a couple of people who knew what I was talking about, so there were definitely some other WTM-ers there. :))