Menu

High altitude snicker-doodle recipe

Anne in CA

Does anyone living between 3700 and 5000 feet have a good snicker-doodle recipe? We are too high for my old one that I used to make in Oregon. We make amazing chocolate chip/ oatmeal raisin cookies at the restaurant to sell, but they are all the old owner's recipes that have been fine tuned for years. Dh loves snicker-doodles and I would love to make some for his birthday. The old recipe I have tastes like cinnamon sand when I make it at this altitude and bake it in the convection oven even when I make adjustments.

I bake frequently at 6500 and 9900 ft.  I'm surprised they didn't turn out well at your altitude.

Typically at 6500 ft, I slightly reduce the sugar and salt to reduce the spread, but otherwise leave everything the same (I usually bake at 350 at 6500 ft, or 325 for longer at 9900 ft).  I have no experience baking cookies on convection.

My favorite high-altitude cookbook is Pie in the Sky.  It does not have Snickerdoodles specifically, but it includes a sugar cookie recipe with alterations for sea level, 3000 ft, 5000 ft, 7000 ft and 10000 ft.  I have never used this particular recipe.