Menu

The Camp Selection problems came out 2 weeks early! eeek

lewelma

DS is taking 2 AoPS math classes for another week; we assumed Algebra would be over before the Camp Selection problems were released.  :huh: He is feeling like :willy_nilly:

I keep reminding him that he has a full month to complete them, but he is feeling the pressure.

Does he still have the same total amount of time to complete the problems? Or does he get an extra two weeks since they're out early? Yikes if it's the first scenario!

Can you make some wiggle room in his homeschool courses for the next few weeks to free up some time so he's not feeling so pressured? Or ask for an extension on his AoPS psets? Sometimes they'll so that if you have a good reason.

In any case, best of luck! I know he'll do terrific!

Thanks guys for the ideas and good wishes. 

The exam this year is 10 questions over 5 weeks, instead of 12 questions over 6 weeks.  So about the same, but last year's exam also spanned the 2-week school holiday and this year it does not. On the day it was released, he got down to business and solved 4, obviously the easy ones.  I have written into his annual schedule 3 weeks off of science and English to make room for the exam, so he is back to the 3 M's - music, math, and mandarin! I think it is just that he wants to get to it NOW.  This is what he has been studying for all year, and he does not want to wait.  Unfortunately, the last week of Algebra has some pretty tough problems, so he has decided to just not think about the exam until next Monday, and then get working! He should have enough time, but it will definitely be more rushed than last year.

He told me that he had planned to solve one more than last year, but given that there are only ten problems this year he would have to solve them all.  So he decided to go for an increased percentage, and solve 9 again.  I got a kick out of the need for this goal setting.  Don't you just solve what you can solve and then stop?  But no, that is not how he does it.  Last year he only got the ninth problem because he had solved 1-6 and 8-9.  And he really really wanted to be able to say he got the first 9, so he put 20 hours into #7 to reach the goal.  So I can see why the personal goal setting is important, it just seems so arbitrary. :001_smile: